Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Airy Disc in a microscope

Tags:
  1. Sep 24, 2014 #1
    Hi there!
    I wonder where the resolution limit for a microscope comes out. I know that the lens can act as a circular aperture of diameter D and so a point source is diffracted in a disk of angular aperture [tex] 1.22\lambda/D[/tex]
    Two sources are resolved if their distance is greater than (without Abbe correction) [tex]1.22\lambda/NA[/tex]
    How can I obtain this result?
    I'm reading Jenkins and White and they start supposing two point sources, O on the axis of the lens and O' slightly above which form images I and I'. Each image consists of a disk and the angular separation of the disks when they are on the limit of resolution is [tex] 1.22\lambda/D[/tex]
    When this condition holds, the wave from O' diffracted to I has zero intensity and the extreme rays O'BI and O'AI differ in path by 1.22lambda. (B is the top point of the lens, and A is the lower point; I is the position of the image of O and lies on the lens axis) Why do they differ in path by 1.22lambda?

I also attach the image, taken from the book, of the geometry
    14iq0lw.jpg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2014 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

I suppose you have to derive first the size of the Airy disk in the focal plane. The rest is geometry.

4. Sep 25, 2014 #3
    I tried, but I'm not sure. The distance II' is
    [tex]II'=f\sin(\theta)[/tex]
    where f is the distance of I from the center of the lens.
    The images are resolved if
    [tex]II'\geq f\frac{1.22\lambda}{D}[/tex]
    If we call f' the distance between O and the center of the lens, we have
    [tex]\frac{OO'}{f'}=\frac{II'}{f}[/tex]
    therefore at the limit of the resolution
    [tex] \frac{OO'}{f'}=\frac{f\frac{1.22\lambda}{D}}{f}[/tex]
    But from the geometry we know that
    [tex] f'=\frac{\frac{D}{2}}{\tan(i)}\simeq\frac{D}{2sin(i)}[/tex]
    Thus, in the end
    [tex]OO'=\frac{1.22\lambda}{2\sin(i)}[/tex]

Is this all right? My doubt is that this derivation is much simpler than that given in textbook.....

5. Sep 25, 2014 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It may help to realize that angular resolution and linear resolution are related through the focal length of the lens 'f' and NA = D/2f (approximately).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook