1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Airy equation and solution

1. Apr 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So the Airy equation states that y''-xy'=0. My problem is to proof that the improper integral
    1/[tex]\pi[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex]cos(1/3*t^3+x*t) from 0 to [tex]\infty[/tex] satisfies this equation.

I've tried differentiating under the integral sign, but all I've gotten is the integrand to be
    y''+ty = -1/pi [tex]\int[/tex] cos(1/3*t^3+x*t)(t^2+x) from zero to infinity. Naturally I do u substitution, but my final answer comes out to be -sin(infinity)/Pi

What should I be doing?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

After the substitution, you have

[tex]y''-xy=\int_0^\infty \cos u\,du[/tex]

That integral doesn't converge because the integrand doesn't vanish as [itex]u\rightarrow\infty[/itex]. The trick is to introduce an integrating factor [itex]e^{-\lambda u}[/itex] and then take the limit as [itex]\lambda\rightarrow 0^+[/itex].

4. Apr 25, 2010 #3
    I'm sorry, but i don't quite understand what I do from there. If the integrand is cos u e^-k*u
    it'll converge, but do i find k and why you take the limit as k go to 0 from the right?

this problem is supposed to be over the heads of students in our class b/c its extra credit and I'm a freshman in a sophomore class, so I don't know if I'm missing anything.

5. Apr 25, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No, you don't find k; you're taking a limit as k goes to 0. The idea is that e-ku will go to 1 as k goes to 0, so the integrand is again just cos u. You have to approach from the right so that -ku<0, otherwise e-ku would go to positive infinity when you plug in the upper limit of the integral.

6. Apr 25, 2010 #5
    ahhh, my answer works out to zero now. thank you.

7. Apr 30, 2010 #6
    The only thing I dont get is, if I'm trying to do a proof of y''+xy=0 for a given equation, why am i allowed to put an integrating factor into the equation?? Wouldn't that show I was unable to prove what I wanted to prove?

8. Apr 30, 2010 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I should have said "convergence factor," not "integrating factor."

Honestly, I don't know the mathematical justification for when such factors are allowed and what their requirements are. It's just a technique that I occasionally ran across in physics, but the mathematical theory behind it was never explained.

9. Apr 30, 2010 #8
    I'll make sure to read up on convergence factors once my tests are over. Thanks for the help!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook