1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Airy Function

1. Oct 10, 2004 #1
    This is my first encounter with this function. In the question at hand it's defined as

A(x) = 1 + x^3/(2)(3) + x^6/(2)(3)(5)(6) + x^9/(2)(3)(5)(6)(8)(9) + ...
    and on like that to infinity. The question is to find the domain of this function. Here's what I have so far. The domain would mean the values for which the sum converges. Since this function is smaller than the summation of x^(3n), from n=o to n=infinity, and that function is convergent for |x|<=1, this function must also be convergent for |x|<=1 by the comparison test (a sort of modified squeeze theorem). But this alone doesn't prove that values of |x|>= 1 won't work, it simply shows that values less than 1 will work. Are there values greater than 1 that still cause the function to converge due the the decreasing effect of the denominator? If so, or if not, how can it be proven? I suspect that values >=1 won't work but i don't know how to prove it. Can anyone help me out?

Sorry that I don't know how to make the equations look nice.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2009 #2
    Hey so if you write the series as:

x^3n/2*3....((3N-1)(3N))

Then you can take a ratio test pretty easily

The ratio test gives you

lim x/(3N+2)(3N+3)
    n->Inf.

Which means that for all values of x, the series will converge.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?