AirZooka equations

Main Question or Discussion Point

I may be making a little RC-car type robotics project, and I would like to make a sort of armament for it which is non-lethal, and kind of funny.

I have come to the realization that I can probably project sound using an air-zooka found on amazon, if I were to 3d print, or create out of household parts. I could put a speaker system in the back of the air-zooka and make it project sound a great distance, hopefully.

I however am not a physicist, therefore am completely unable to determine how to preform the equations for such a device. I am a software developer and can create a software program for determining desperate types based on off the shelf speakers provided I am told how to calculate their air displacement etc. This means that if someone were to provide me a formula which does not involve calculus I could have the software determine based on your formula exactly how to make the zooka based on different speaker types.

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

:welcome:

I'm not familiar with air zooka. Is it something like this?
upload_2018-9-11_15-37-38.png

Attachments

berkeman
Mentor

Attachments

OK got it. I'm older than the rest of you. My childhood toys were more like this.
toys-17.jpg

Just kidding. Or am I? :wink:

Attachments

Right, I am fairly sure the only thing that matters is the diameter of the hole in relation to distance and volume of air moved. These things fire pretty far. I am reasonably certain like a rifling equation these would make small speaker emit pretty far distances, since it is in fact moving air. Thanks for the help if you indeed render it. Additionally, perhaps ada-fruit, jameco, or sparkfun some other electronics vendor would be interested in the equations. Thanks.

berkeman
Mentor
I may be making a little RC-car type robotics project, and I would like to make a sort of armament for it which is non-lethal, and kind of funny.

I have come to the realization that I can probably project sound using an air-zooka found on amazon, if I were to 3d print, or create out of household parts. I could put a speaker system in the back of the air-zooka and make it project sound a great distance, hopefully.
Right, I am fairly sure the only thing that matters is the diameter of the hole in relation to distance and volume of air moved. These things fire pretty far. I am reasonably certain like a rifling equation these would make small speaker emit pretty far distances, since it is in fact moving air.
I'm not understanding what you are saying about a "speaker" and "project sound" in the context of an AirZooka or Air Blaster type toy weapon. The AirZooka and Air Blaster shoot out a pulse or knuckle of air, which travels for some distance before dissipating. That air knuckle can knock over stacked playing cards, or mess up a person's hair, and so forth. There is not really a sound associated with the air knuckle itself.

If you are just wanting to "project sound" (which is not really a weapon per se), you would use a different structure to do that. Are you familiar with how parabolic reflector structures are used to reflect and concentrate sound?

Last edited:
I think first you are going to have to explain how concentrated air is not similar to a sound vibration which is also concentrations of air.

berkeman
Mentor
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
If the piston or diaphram that created the pulse of air could exceed the speed of sound (in air) then can we create a "sonic boom"?
I've read that sounds like the cracking of a whip are produced by everyday objects exceeding the speed of sound for short times.
I wonder if loud noises like hitting a board with a hammer are examples of that.

Tom.G
Science Advisor
I think first you are going to have to explain how concentrated air is not similar to a sound vibration which is also concentrations of air.
Consider that the lower frequency limit of human hearing is 20Hz. With sound traveling about 1100ft. per second (330m per sec.), a 20Hz sound will have a rise time around 18ms, anything slower than that the human ear does not perceive as sound.

Your AirZooka is like tossing a basketball of air, it is traveling perhaps a few feet per second; not a fast enough rise time for your ear to discern as sound.

The most you could expect is a feeling similiar to the pressure change when driving up and down a mountain or in an airplane at takeoff and landing; and even that would be minimal if detectable at all.

Cheers,
Tom

Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
Your AirZooka is like tossing a basketball of air, it is traveling perhaps a few feet per second;
I think of sound as result of air molecules transmitting small vibrations and wind as a gross transport of air molecules. Is an AirZooka pulse an intermedate effect? Something like a turbulence that is locally a gross movement of air molecules?