Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Al 6061 wear properties- help

1. Nov 14, 2008 #1

Did some wear experiments on some Al 6061 samples. Could anyone help with some microstructure descriptions (changes) and why oxygen should appear in the EDS of severe wear (70N at a sliding distance of 3000M)?

Also if anyone has any papers on wear reistance or coefficient of friction I sure would appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2008 #2
    If you exposed the aluminum to air at all following the wear, I would expect oxygen in the EDS signal. Aluminum oxides rapidly, and if you're doing EDS on the surface, there will be a thin layer of Al2O3.

I'm not sure what you mean by microstructure descriptions.
  4. Nov 22, 2008 #3
    Thank you.
    If it's been slided against a steel ring, wouldn't metal transfer during severe wear cause Iron Oxide to appear on the Al surface?

5. Nov 26, 2008 #4
    I would actually expect aluminum (and therefore aluminum oxide) to appear on the steel surface. The steel is presumably much harder than the aluminum. Because of this, a wear process would wear away the aluminum, leaving the steel mostly intact.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?