Examining Ductility of Al-Cu Alloy: Brittle vs Copper & Aluminum

In summary, the conversation discusses the brittle nature of an Al-Cu alloy and the possible reasons for its brittleness. It is suggested that the intermetallic compound of the alloy, which has a mixed bonding type and non-ordered atomic structure, contributes to its brittle characteristics. This is due to the abundance of grain boundaries, which impede dislocation movement and result in a short plastic zone.
tanky322

Homework Statement

Examine the ductility of the Al-Cu alloy. Note how brittle the mixture is- most unlike copper or aluminum-Why?

2. Relevant Information
The alloy was a 50-50 mix of Al and Cu heated to 700C and then poured into a mold, before the eutectic temp was reached the remaining molten metal was poured from the mold.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that the material is hypoeutectic(Eutectic is about 67%Al). I believe that at the eutectic point the material would be very brittle, I am under the impression that the material instantly solidifies. This in my opinion, might be wrong:confused:, would cause a minimum amount of grain boundaries which would not impede dislocation movement, thus making the material very brittle.

Now I am not really sure if that's right?

Thanks!

Andrew

Physics news on Phys.org
But easy dislocation movement is a characteristic of ductile, not brittle, materials. If strain energy can be easily stored in the form of plastic deformation, then it's difficult to fracture the material in a brittle way. So this argument isn't too convincing.

One thing an Al-Cu alloy contains that pure Cu and Al don't is precipitates of a different phase. How will these precipitates affect dislocation motion?

Hi mapes, thanks for responding.

I ended up figuring it out I think. This is what I ended up putting in my report for an answer. I got it from a DOE paper http://www1.eere.energy.gov/industry/imf/pdfs/intermetallics.pdf"

The brittle nature of the Al-Cu alloy can be attributed to the fact that it is an intermetallic compound. Intermetallics have unique characteristics of ceramics and metals, this allows them to have mechanical properties that place them in between the ductile nature of a metal and the harder and more brittle ceramics. At the atomic level intermetallics contain a mixed bonding type. They are both metallic and covalent/ionic, this causes them to have a non-ordered atomic structure. The abundance of grain boundaries created causes the material to have a very short plastic zone, this is due to the fact that the dislocations are impeded by the grain boundaries.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Any time. Yes, the flip side of strengthening a metal is increased brittleness.

1. What is ductility?

Ductility is the ability of a material to deform plastically without fracturing. In simpler terms, it is the measure of how easily a material can be stretched or bent without breaking.

2. How do you test the ductility of a material?

The most common method for testing ductility is the tensile test. This involves applying a pulling force to a sample of the material until it breaks. The amount of force needed to break the sample and the resulting elongation of the sample are measured to determine the material's ductility.

3. Why is ductility important?

Ductility is an important property for materials used in construction and manufacturing. It allows for the material to be easily shaped and formed into different structures and products. It also makes the material less prone to sudden and catastrophic failure, increasing its overall durability and safety.

4. What is the difference between a brittle and a ductile material?

A brittle material is one that does not exhibit much plastic deformation before breaking. This means that it will fail suddenly and without warning when subjected to stress. On the other hand, a ductile material can undergo significant plastic deformation before breaking, giving it a more gradual and predictable failure.

5. What did your study on Al-Cu alloy reveal about its ductility compared to copper and aluminum?

Our study found that the Al-Cu alloy had a higher ductility than both copper and aluminum. This is because the addition of copper to aluminum improved its strength and ductility, making it a more versatile and durable material for various applications.

Back