Should Al Gore be president again?

• News
  • Thread starter scott1
  • Start date
In summary: Gore has been very upfront about his intentions. I can't say whether I respect him or not (I know too little of US politics), but I certainly will respect a man who goes whole-heartedly into environmentalism (and keeps doing that!), and uses his political know-how to get things publicly known and that intelligent measures are taken.In summary, Al Gore said he hadn't ruled out making a second bid for the White House, though he said it was unlikely. Gore is a career politician and there isn't anything else for him to do. He lives in a 10,000 sq ft house with 20 rooms and flies about on a private jet to promote his film, as well as
scott1
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know whether he should or should not be president, but at the very least it would be prudent of him to first build a successful "unpolitical" career unmarred by his previous failure, for example by advertising himself as, say, "the (environmental) conscience of the nation".

Or something like that..

Last edited:
though I'm not a fan of Gore, always came across to me as a complete moron, he is certainly better than the maniacal shrieking hilary clinton.

And it'd be pretty hard for him to market himself as the environmental conscience of the nation... he lives in a 10,000 sq ft house with 20 rooms and flies about on a private jet to promote his film (http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2006-08-09-gore-green_x.htm)
as well as opposing nuclear energy. sorry the environmentalist ruse doesn't fly with me.

Gore is a very liberal politician and for them, environmentalism is every bit a religion as the radical christian right is for far-right conservatives. There is no such thing as a legitimate environmentalism movement in the US, but making a movie about it is a way to rally the radicals around him - which is what politicians on both sides need in order to gain the support of their party.

No, I wouldn't be surprised if he ran again - he's a career politician. There isn't anything else for him to do. My first thought when I heard about his movie was that he'd be running for President again and be using that as a centerpiece.

Note: I'm not saying anything about the global warming issue itself. It is legit - but I question his motives and sincerity. His entire life has been one big string of carefully calculated political maneuvers.

Last edited:
ptabor said:
he lives in a 10,000 sq ft house with 20 rooms and flies about on a private jet to promote his film
Hopefully, his 20 room home uses solar :rolleyes: , and just think of the carbon emissions (per person) of a corporate jet as opposed to an airliner.

There is no such thing as a legitimate environmentalism movement in the US
I wouldn't go that far - there certainly is not a national environmental movement that one can point to, but many places have adopted so-called 'environmentally friendly' policies, e.g. natural gas vehicles, electric vehicles, recycling, energy conservation, . . . . One of the biggest growth areas for GE is 'wind turbines'. Large investment firms like Goldman Sachs are trying to cut down on energy and product consumption, as well as fund 'green' industries.

Even the very conservative nuclear industry endorses 'global warming' and touts nuclear as a way to reduce or avoid 'greenhouse gas' emissions.

russ_watters said:
His entire life has been one big string of carefully calculated political maneuvers.
Yeah, well, one could say that about most or all of the Senators, and most persons in Congress, governors' offices and mayors' offices. Certainly, it applies to Bush. :rolleyes:

Perhaps some conservatives in the US may gain a bit more respect for Al Gore if he actually chooses NOT to try again to be elected?

I can't say whether I respect him or not (I know too little of US politics), but I certainly will respect a man who goes whole-heartedly into environmentalism (and keeps doing that!), and uses his political know-how to get things publicly known and that intelligent measures are taken.

Astronuc said:
I wouldn't go that far - there certainly is not a national environmental movement that one can point to, but many places have adopted so-called 'environmentally friendly' policies, e.g. natural gas vehicles, electric vehicles, recycling, energy conservation, . . . .
Right, but I was talking about an organization with a coherent, comprehensive, and more importanly, reasonable strategy/goal. There are a number of great issue-specific organizations (the SPCA), but none of the general organizations (Greenpeace, Sierra Club) are legitimate environmentalists because they are too ideoloically motivated to be reasonable or useful.
Even the very conservative nuclear industry endorses 'global warming' and touts nuclear as a way to reduce or avoid 'greenhouse gas' emissions.
Nuclear energy is the biggest issue on which environmenalists let their ideology cloud their judgement. And the nuclear industry is right, but I don't give bonus points to those who'se motivation comes entirely from their wallets.
Yeah, well, one could say that about most or all of the Senators, and most persons in Congress, governors' offices and mayors' offices. Certainly, it applies to Bush. :rolleyes:
Yes, but some much, much more than others. For some (the Bushes, Kennedys, and Gores), politics is the family business. To his credit (and detriment) I doubt Clinton (for example) gave much thought to how his actions at age 20 would affect his future political career.

Last edited:
arildno said:
Perhaps some conservatives in the US may gain a bit more respect for Al Gore if he actually chooses NOT to try again to be elected?

I can't say whether I respect him or not (I know too little of US politics), but I certainly will respect a man who goes whole-heartedly into environmentalism (and keeps doing that!), and uses his political know-how to get things publicly known and that intelligent measures are taken.
Yes, that would make his sincerity easier to believe.

russ_watters said:
No, I wouldn't be surprised if he ran again - he's a career politician. There isn't anything else for him to do. My first thought when I heard about his movie was that he'd be running for President again and be using that as a centerpiece.
When I heard about the movie, I thought the same thing, that he's gearing up to move back to the center of the public/political spotlight after playing it fairly low key for a few years. When I have seen him interviewed more recently about the movie, it looks like he's also taken critique of his image from his first bid for presidency to heart, and has been appearing in more casual clothes and more relaxed. That was part of what did him in the first go around, he seemed unapproachable and stiff, too much of an intellectual elitist rather than just a smart guy folks wanted to listen to.

The problem I have with the environmentalist "movement" in the US is that while they've done a fairly decent job of identifying the problems, their proposed solutions are off in la-la land. They propose things that just aren't practical or feasible.

But, it should make an interesting face-off between the two parties, at least for a while. The Republicans now have been branded as supporting big oil and being lax on environmental regulations, lax on coal mining safety, and guilty of letting oil and gas prices rise sharply. To set that head-to-head against an environment-friendly, alternative fuel, clean-air campaign would be something that would make for interesting debates. Of course, that would depend on who the Republican candidates are and where they stand on that issue, but they're all going to have to live with Bush and Cheney's legacy on that.

Right, but I was talking about an organization with a coherent, comprehensive, and more importanly, reasonable strategy/goal.

Search "Environmental"
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,080,000,000

Here's one. It looks like there's more.
http://www.environmentaldefense.org/home.cfm

http://www.epa.gov/ocfo/plan/plan.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
How could you say that about Bush. He spent his first 40+ years partying as a privileged rich brat before a few concerned conservatives dried him out and poured a political viewpoint into him. Of all the bad things you could say about him, being a career politician isn't one of them.

Ivan Seeking said:
Search "Environmental"
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,080,000,000
I was very specific about my definition of what constitutes a "real" broad-focus environmentalist organization. Ie:
Here's one. It looks like there's more.
http://www.environmentaldefense.org/home.cfm
That group suffers from the same basic flaw as most groups: they lack a national energy policy, and you can't do anything more than feel-good-environementalism without one. But at least they aren't Greenpeace - their proposals were, at least, reasonable. Just not comprehensive enough to be useful.

BobG said:
How could you say that about Bush. He spent his first 40+ years partying as a privileged rich brat before a few concerned conservatives dried him out and poured a political viewpoint into him. Of all the bad things you could say about him, being a career politician isn't one of them.
Bush was an unsuccessful candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives in 1978. Then he worked on his father's campaign. Since then, there are others who had priority. Bush was waiting in the wings.

Bush became Gov. of Texas in 1995, so he would have campaigned in 1994, and he certainly has been a career politican since.

-------------------------------------------------------

So who would be preferable as a presidential candidate, Gore or Kerry? :rofl: :yuck:

Astronuc said:
(snip)So who would be preferable as a presidential candidate, Gore or Kerry? :rofl: :yuck:

Preferable (as a democratic) presidential candidate for which party and what purposes?

Even if gore ran and got elected, environmentalism policies wouldn't be the top of his priorities. He got to fix that mess (a really really big mess) that Bush created.

Has your constitution changed yet to allow Arni to run?

Bystander said:
Preferable (as a democratic) presidential candidate for which party and what purposes?
Maybe I should have worded it, whose worse Gore or Kerry? :rofl:

Astronuc said:
Maybe I should have worded it, whose worse Gore or Kerry? :rofl:
I don't think either one should run, but quite honestly who *would* be a good candidate? Isn't it about time that we had some decent candidates?

Not going to happen without open primaries.

Bystander said:
That is so true. I've changed between Democrat and Republican parties several times trying to take part in the "real" selection process (the primaries). If only the election of 2000 had been Bill Bradley vs John McCain.

Register, everybody register in a party! Whether you like it or not, it's where the election really happens.

Chi Meson said:
That is so true. I've changed between Democrat and Republican parties several times trying to take part in the "real" selection process (the primaries). If only the election of 2000 had been Bill Bradley vs John McCain.

Register, everybody register in a party! Whether you like it or not, it's where the election really happens.
True, once the candidates are chosen, you're pretty much hosed. Let's not have another national election between dumb and dumber. :frown:

Evo said:
I don't think either one should run, but quite honestly who *would* be a good candidate? Isn't it about time that we had some decent candidates?
Are you volunteering, Evo? :biggrin: I think you'd make a great President, or Senator, or Congressperson, or Governor. :approve:

Bystander said:
Yeah, start campaigning for open primaries in your state!

Evo said:
True, once the candidates are chosen, you're pretty much hosed. Let's not have another national election between dumb and dumber. :frown:
Or dumb and dumberer. :rofl: Or is that Tweedledim and Tweedledumb? :rofl:

Astronuc said:
Or dumb and dumberer. :rofl: Or is that Tweedledim and Tweedledumb? :rofl:
Tweedledamn and Tweedledoom.

Personally, I want to see Russ Watters run for Congress or Senate, then maybe President. :approve: He's young enough. :biggrin:

Bystander said:

You do realize what would actually happen with open primaries right? What actually does happen?

People from the other party cross lines and vote for the worse guy, to help their guy win in the final vote.

I realize that that's the mortal fear of party hacks --- they don't want the independents picking and choosing the few competent people from either party to run against each other.

Bystander said:
I realize that that's the mortal fear of party hacks --- they don't want the independents picking and choosing the few competent people from either party to run against each other.

Huh? Thats not what I said.

Example:

Democrats have open primary. Republicans don't.
Republicans go vote in Dem Primary.
They intentionally vote for someone they think will lose the general election.

or vice versa

Thats about what happens.

No --- that's what the party hacks peddle to kill the idea of open primaries, plural --- they don't wanta lose their seniority.

Bystander said:
No --- that's what the party hacks peddle to kill the idea of open primaries, plural --- they don't wanta lose their seniority.

No that's what actually happens.

So while you're insinuating I'm a party hack, I'll just let it slip that I'm a registered independent.

There aren't open primaries --- you can't possibly know that that's what happens --- you've asserted that politics is a silly board game being played to see whose party wins and whose party loses. Party hacks are terrified of independents --- to pick up primary votes from independents means that the candidates seeking party nominations actually have to appeal to a broader spectrum of voters.

Bystander said:
There aren't open primaries --- you can't possibly know that that's what happens --- you've asserted that politics is a silly board game being played to see whose party wins and whose party loses. Party hacks are terrified of independents --- to pick up primary votes from independents means that the candidates seeking party nominations actually have to appeal to a broader spectrum of voters.

Um... yes there are open primaries. A number of states have had varies forms, extending from blanket primaries to open party primaries--though in all cases you can't vote in both 'double primaries'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_election

In case you've been living in a hole for the last ten years, yeah politics is a silly board game played on party lines. In the US anyway.

From the Wiki link, "Open: Voters may vote in primaries of a party of their choice, the choice to be made at the voting booth. When voters do not pre-register for a party, this is called the pick-a-party primary because the voter can select which party he wishes to vote in on election day. In other open primary states, voters pre-register their party preference but the information is only used by parties for mailing lists and is non-binding.

Now, just how open is this? Let's say it's a presidential election year, and I'm interested in D for this office, R for that, D for another, R for another --- 'tain't that open.

"Blanket:" (Wiki) no longer used --- the only open primary in the list.

Lawton-Lieberman? Connecticut dems shot themselves in the foot with a guaranteed loser, in a "closed primary" --- "open," or, "blanket," the republicans and independents might have saved them the embarassment --- Lieberman is popular enough in Conn. that the republicans have let him have it essentially uncontested --- might run someone for form's sake, but not as a serious challenge.

1. Should Al Gore run for president again?

This is a question that is often asked by those who are interested in politics and environmental issues. Some people believe that Al Gore would make a good president, while others think that he should not run again.

2. What are Al Gore's qualifications for president?

Al Gore has a long history in politics, having served as a U.S. Representative, Senator, and Vice President under Bill Clinton. He also has a strong background in environmental activism and has won a Nobel Peace Prize for his work on climate change.

3. How has Al Gore's stance on issues changed since his last presidential campaign?

Al Gore's views on issues such as climate change and the environment have remained consistent over the years. However, he has also become more vocal on social justice issues, including income inequality and racial justice.

4. What are the potential benefits and drawbacks of having Al Gore as president?

Some potential benefits of having Al Gore as president include his experience in politics and his strong stance on environmental issues. However, some may argue that his age and past political controversies could be drawbacks.

5. How likely is it that Al Gore will run for president again?

At this time, it is unclear if Al Gore will run for president again. He has not announced any plans to do so, but he has also not ruled it out completely. It will ultimately depend on his personal decision and the political landscape at the time of the election.