What is the Impact of Atiyah Abd al-Rahman's Death on Al Qaeda's Operations?

• News
  • Thread starter OmCheeto
  • Start date
In summary: Something you don't hear so much about on MSNBC is that the chinese are building a port in Pakistan.The Chinese have their own problems with moslem Uighur terrorists. Some were captured at an al-qaeda training facility and were sent to Gitmo. When they were released they couldn't be deported to China for execution so we set them up in a restaurant business in Bermuda.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5j4Gn_pnNpu49Zjn6ApN6SU7NCdPw?docId=654e051a9aac461f95fc903269af3a87" [Broken]

By MATT APUZZO, Associated Press – 3 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. and Pakistani officials said Saturday that al-Qaida's second-in-command, Atiyah Abd al-Rahman, has been killed in Pakistan, delivering another big blow to a terrorist group that the U.S. believes to be on the verge of defeat.

That is all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just more swatting mosquitoes, al-qaida is a distraction mainly funded by the chinese.

Chronos said:
al-qaida is ... mainly funded by the chinese.

This has strong echoes of US paranoia about the USSR during the cold war. I'm interested to know what the evidence for this is? I'm not sure I understand why Chinese interests are served by the activities of Al Qaeda. It seems to me that Al Qaeda had sufficient funding sources among those more obviously aligned with their world view.

We've killed al qaeda's second in command so many times now that we're starting to run out of bullets. Why don't they leave that poor fellow alone and go after the third in command for a change?

Jimmy Snyder said:
We've killed al qaeda's second in command so many times now that we're starting to run out of bullets. Why don't they leave that poor fellow alone and go after the third in command for a change?

hmmm... bin Laden's code name was http://blogs.berkeley.edu/2011/05/02/bin-laden%E2%80%99s-code-name-was-%E2%80%98geronimo%E2%80%99/" [Broken].

Perhaps they should code name #2, as, Kenny?

Last edited by a moderator:
With the death of Bin Laden and numerous number twos, and with significant losses in Pakistan, Al Qaeda is getting desperate for new recruits. Homeland Security has released documents showing that Al Qaeda recently tried to recruit Jimmy Kennedy, who is widely known as the meanest 7th grader at Boston middle school.

OmCheeto said:
Perhaps they should code name #2, as, Kenny?

The kill time would have to be called "those bastards" instead of "inglorious".

Jimmy Snyder said:

this ^

Ken Natton said:
This has strong echoes of US paranoia about the USSR during the cold war. I'm interested to know what the evidence for this is? I'm not sure I understand why Chinese interests are served by the activities of Al Qaeda. It seems to me that Al Qaeda had sufficient funding sources among those more obviously aligned with their world view.

i don't know about the funding al qaeda part (haven't tried to research it, but would be interested in any links), but their interests are the same as ours: controlling the oil.

something you don't hear so much about on MSNBC is that the chinese are building a port in Pakistan. to protect their oil access. notice they also want a pipeline.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303654804576339323765033308.html
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2011/05/27/chinas_port_in_pakistan

where is this oil coming from? places like iran, of course. and when we get afghanistan under our control, the TAPI pipeline bringing in petroleum from the Caspian Sea region.
http://www.ensec.org/index.php?opti...tid=103:energysecurityissuecontent&Itemid=358

Chronos said:
Just more swatting mosquitoes, al-qaida is a distraction mainly funded by the chinese.

The Chinese have their own problems with moslem Uighur terrorists. Some were captured at an al-qaeda training facility and were sent to Gitmo. When they were released they couldn't be deported to China for execution so we set them up in a restaurant business in Bermuda.

Is there any evidence of a Red China al-qaeda link?

Whac-A-Mole in real life. Who would have thought.

1. Who was Al Qaeda's #2 and how was he killed?

Al Qaeda's #2 was Abu Muhammad al-Masri, also known as Abdullah Ahmed Abdullah. He was killed in Tehran, Iran on August 7, 2020 by two Israeli operatives acting at the behest of the United States.

2. Why was Al Qaeda's #2 killed by the US?

The US government considered al-Masri to be a senior leader and key figure in Al Qaeda, responsible for multiple terrorist attacks and plots. His death was seen as a significant blow to the organization's leadership and operations.

3. Was this the first time the US has targeted Al Qaeda's #2?

No, this was not the first time the US has targeted Al Qaeda's #2. In 2003, a US drone strike in Afghanistan targeted and killed Abu Muhammad al-Masri, but it was later revealed that the man killed was not the same individual as the recent operation in Iran.

4. How will Al Qaeda's #2's death impact the organization?

It is difficult to predict the exact impact of al-Masri's death on Al Qaeda's operations. Some experts believe that it could lead to a power struggle within the organization, while others argue that Al Qaeda has been significantly weakened in recent years and this event may not have a major effect.

5. What does the killing of Al Qaeda's #2 mean for US-Iran relations?

The operation has raised tensions between the US and Iran, as it was carried out on Iranian soil without their knowledge or consent. It is unclear how this will affect diplomatic relations between the two countries, but it could potentially strain them further.