Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AL422 speed limits

1. Jul 5, 2012 #1
    Hello. I use a Fifo IC AL422B with a 1 MHz write clock and a 625 kHz read clock. I just discovered that 1 MHz is the low speed limit for the clocks. I can speed up the write clock to 2 MHz but unfortunately I can't change read clock speed. As these clocks ( or at least one of them) are used for refresh cycles, do you think that increasing write speed will be sufficient to insure a proper way of work ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The datasheet says it is self-refreshing, so that doesn't look like an issue:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ho38Bg&usg=AFQjCNGXkWLiJRGbk02mfBrMh3_TOy7rIA

However, it appears to have the same specs for both the Write and Read clocks -- 20ns to 1us period. You aren't going to be able to read it at 625kHz if I'm reading that specification correctly.

Do you have the circuit working at 625kHz?

4. Jul 7, 2012 #3
    Thanks for reply. Reading is done by an old PC (300 MHz) through Centronics // interface and I've no way to increase this speed

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook