Help with Aladin Contrast for Galaxies, Stars & Planets

• Thread starter Illogical
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking guidance on how to create an RGB image for an assessment on Galaxies, Stars and Planets. They are struggling with combining three images and assigning colors to each based on their wavelength. Another person suggests using a RGB Image tool and provides a link to the user manual for instructions. The person in need of help is still having trouble and the conversation ends with them expressing their frustration.
Illogical
Hello guys, sorry to be a bother but I'm currently undergoing the assessment for Galaxies, Stars and Planets, and for question 3 I'm asked to "create an RGB image from these three images by assigning an appropriate colour (red, green or blue) to each one based on their wavelength."
I've already had to select the grey colour table and the Asinh contrast, but I've no idea how I combine these three images or assign a colour to each of them.
I'm hoping that some people here have used Aladin before and could give me some guidace, which would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Is there a RGB Image tool or something?

Looked on image and found it, can't believe I missed it haha! Thanks a lot

I have the same problem this year. Using the RGB pop-up I can get the three images singly, I can't get them all to appear to be transferred together. Did you work it out? Would like to know how, if you can remember.

Have you looked at the user manual? The instructions for the color image builder are on page 65: http://aladin.u-strasbg.fr/java/AladinManual6.pdf
It looks like you just open the builder, assign an image to each color channel, and then click "Create".
Have you tried that?

Thank you very much for your reply. I have copied p.65 and it will be a help, but I haven't managed to get the three images on to the stack together. I put one on but the next one is not added to the stack. It replaces the first one. .

Sorry, I can't help you then. I'm not familiar with the software. :frown:

Thanks anyway. I'm working on it.

1. What is Aladin Contrast and how does it help with studying galaxies, stars, and planets?

Aladin Contrast is a software tool that helps scientists analyze and compare images of galaxies, stars, and planets. It utilizes contrast enhancement techniques to reveal faint features and details that may not be visible in the original images. This can help scientists better understand the structures and properties of these celestial objects.

2. Can Aladin Contrast be used for all types of astronomical images?

Yes, Aladin Contrast can be used for a wide range of astronomical images, including optical, infrared, and radio images. It can also be used to enhance images of different types of celestial objects, such as galaxies, stars, and planets.

3. How does Aladin Contrast work?

Aladin Contrast uses advanced algorithms to analyze the pixel values of an image and adjust the contrast to enhance faint features. It also has the ability to combine multiple images of the same object to create a clearer and more detailed image. Additionally, it has a user-friendly interface that allows scientists to easily manipulate and compare images.

4. Is Aladin Contrast a free software?

Yes, Aladin Contrast is a free software developed by the Centre de Données astronomiques de Strasbourg (CDS). It is available for download on their website and is constantly updated with new features and improvements.

5. Can Aladin Contrast be used for educational purposes?

Yes, Aladin Contrast can be a useful tool for educational purposes, such as in astronomy courses. It can help students visualize and analyze images of galaxies, stars, and planets, and gain a better understanding of their properties and structures.