Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alan Keyes, who?

1. Dec 12, 2007 #1
    I'm watching the Iowa Republican debate and noticed there is a new guy, Alan Keyes. I was really suprised to see him, I haven't seen him before. What do people know about this guy? He seems to speak pretty well.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2007 #2
    He was a UN ambassador under Reagan, but I remember him most from when he ran for the Senate in Maryland a couple of times (88 and 92), losing both times. He also ran against Obama for the Senate seat in Illinois that Obama won. He is a pretty conservative Republican, especially on the social issues. My impression of him, going back to those Maryland Senate races (I'm a Maryland resident) is that he is impressive at first but he eventually displays some fairly extreme views on things that even I -- as a moderate to conservative Republican -- find very troubling (and I did not vote for him either time in Maryland).

4. Dec 12, 2007 #3

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

He lost against Obama in IL last go round. I believe his day job is as a conservative radio host in Maryland. He does seem to speak pretty well but some of the things he says kind of scare me. Too much "In God We Trust" and "We are endowed by our Creator..." talk for me. I think our problems are much more serious than his tagline "We need to get God back into schools" mentality.

5. Dec 12, 2007 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Keyes became famous during his so-called run against Obama in Illinois. That was a joke!

6. Dec 12, 2007 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Surely if god is omniscient then he is the last person that needs to go back to school?

7. Dec 12, 2007 #6

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Or, if you prefer, If God is omniscient then he(she, it?) doesn't need Alan Keyes' help in any way.

BTW You should capitalize 'God' in your references to the supreme being. God could be watching! (omnipresent?):wink:

8. Dec 12, 2007 #7
    after watching the whole debate it is clear Alan is a bit nutty lol

9. Dec 12, 2007 #8

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A little bit nutty? He's a pecan tree!

10. Dec 12, 2007 #9

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I hoped she was case sensitive and would ignore me!

11. Dec 12, 2007 #10

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

He's been around for quite a while, occasionally running for President when he gets bored. He's a highly intelligent nutcase (kinda like Ron Paul).

12. Dec 12, 2007 #11

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Keyes is that dude who kept it real in a portable mosh pit.

video

13. Dec 27, 2007 #12
    the first time I heard of alan keyes was when he was in borat...

14. Dec 27, 2007 #13
    If Keyes is a nutcase, then so was Reagan. The man's novelty is the same as Clarence Thomas, he's as high profile a Black conservative Republican you can find.

15. Dec 30, 2007 #14

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

QED

Actually, Reagan was just dishonest. And it's been downhill ever since.

Keyes's campaigns:

Maryland Senate campaign 1988 and 1992
    U.S. Presidential election campaign 1996
    U.S. Presidential election campaign 2000
    Illinois Senate campaign 2004
    U.S. Presidential election campaign 2008

He get's around.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?