Alarm Clock & Wiring: Is It Possible?

In summary, the speaker had a disagreement with their downstairs neighbor and noticed that their alarm clock stopped working temporarily. They wonder if it's possible for the neighbor to have tampered with the wall socket wiring to cause this issue. It is possible, but also dangerous. It could be a result of the neighbor using a large electric load on the same circuit. However, it is more likely that there is a fault with the clock itself.
drakonhardt
Hey All.

I want to throw this out there to someone knowledgeable and hopefully I can find my answer here.

I had a spat with my downstairs neighbor whose room is below mine. He's been doing things like turning up the TV loud or banging beneath my bed in the middle of the night, etc.

One thing that caught my attention was that my alarm temporarily stopped going off. The clock itself was still working. I don't particularly know why this happened. But it eventually started working again about a week later after I switched rooms.

I'm just going to throw this one in from left field. Is it at all possible to mess the wall socket wiring in anyway to magically stop my alarm clock from working?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes it is possible but dangerous. Someone could plug in a (nearly) short circuit load that pulls down the voltage on that circuit. Many alarm clocks are sensitive to momentary voltage dips.

It is not necessarily malicious. Your neighbor could be using a hot plate or a microwave or some other electric load too big for the circuit.

Last edited:
I don't think so.

Likes davenn
I'm with Dr.C on this one. Probably just a faulty switch or something on the clock.

Likes davenn

1. Can an alarm clock be wired to other devices?

Yes, it is possible to wire an alarm clock to other devices such as lights, speakers, or even coffee makers. This is often done through the use of smart home technology or by using compatible wiring systems.

2. How does the wiring in an alarm clock work?

The wiring in an alarm clock is responsible for connecting the various components such as the clock mechanism, power source, and alarm function. It allows for the flow of electricity to power the clock and trigger the alarm at the designated time.

3. Is it safe to wire an alarm clock on my own?

If you have knowledge and experience with electrical wiring, it is generally safe to wire an alarm clock on your own. However, if you are unfamiliar with wiring or have any doubts, it is best to consult a professional to ensure proper installation and safety.

4. Can I customize the wiring in my alarm clock?

It is possible to customize the wiring in an alarm clock, but it would require advanced knowledge and skills in electrical engineering. It is not recommended for individuals without proper training to modify the wiring of their alarm clock as it can be dangerous and may damage the device.

5. Are there any risks associated with wiring an alarm clock?

As with any electrical wiring, there are potential risks associated with wiring an alarm clock, such as electric shock or fire hazards. It is important to follow safety precautions and consult a professional if you are unsure about how to properly wire your alarm clock.