Troubleshooting Alarm Logging on a Gas Turbine

In summary, alarm logging is a computer system that records and produces a written record of all alarms presented to the operator for later review. It is used for post-mortem analysis and can help identify issues with the system. However, if it is not working properly, it could be due to a simple issue like a printer being on standby or a more serious software problem.
engnr_arsalan
Can anyone tell me what is alarm loging? I m working on a gas turbine,there is a problem in its controller.my instrument fellow told me that alarm loging is not working,I m from mechanical engineering background.

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
the computer that takes notice of and produces a written record of all alarms presented to the operator
for later review, aka "Post Mortem Analysis",
is not doing its job.

Could be as simple as a printer switched to standby or paper jammed
or as serious as the program quit running for some mysterious software reason.

That is a simple yet great answer...thanks a lot jim

1. How do I troubleshoot alarm logging issues on a gas turbine?

To troubleshoot alarm logging issues on a gas turbine, the first step is to check the alarm configuration settings. Make sure that all alarms are properly configured and assigned to the correct sensors. Next, check the alarm history to see if any alarms have been triggered and investigate the cause. It is also important to check the communication between the sensors and the alarm system, as well as the power supply to the sensors. If the issue persists, consult the manufacturer's troubleshooting guide or contact technical support.

2. Why are my alarms not being logged on the gas turbine?

There could be several reasons why alarms are not being logged on the gas turbine. First, check the alarm configuration settings to make sure they are enabled. If the alarms are enabled but still not being logged, there may be an issue with the alarm history buffer. Check if the buffer is full and clear it if necessary. Another possible cause could be a malfunctioning sensor or communication error between the sensor and the alarm system. It is also important to check the power supply to the sensors and the alarm system.

3. How can I view the alarm history on a gas turbine?

To view the alarm history on a gas turbine, access the alarm system's interface and navigate to the alarm history section. The alarm history will display a list of all triggered alarms, including the time and date of the alarm, its severity, and any associated messages or codes. Some alarm systems also allow you to filter the alarm history by time frame or specific alarms.

4. What should I do if the gas turbine is not recording all alarm events?

If the gas turbine is not recording all alarm events, first check the alarm history to see if any alarms have been missed. If the alarm system has missed alarms, there may be an issue with the alarm settings or the alarm history buffer. Make sure all alarms are properly configured and the buffer is not full. Additionally, check the communication between the sensors and the alarm system, as well as the power supply to the sensors.

5. How often should I check the alarm logging on a gas turbine?

The frequency of checking the alarm logging on a gas turbine will depend on the specific system and its usage. Generally, it is recommended to check the alarm logging on a regular basis, such as daily or weekly, to ensure that all alarms are being properly recorded and any issues can be addressed in a timely manner. It is also important to check the alarm logging after any maintenance or repairs have been performed on the gas turbine.