Convert Pressure to Electrical Signal for Wing Stall Alarm

• Thread starter himanshu121
  • Start date
In summary, the person is looking for a way to make an alarm for when the wing stall condition is reached. They are considering using a piezoelectric pressure sensor to convert pressure into an electrical signal to trigger the alarm. However, there may be difficulty in programming for different altitudes. Another suggestion is to use a pitot tube and pressure transducer, which can accurately detect pressure changes. The person also mentions using a diaphragm and light sensor to detect pressure changes, but is unsure if it is feasible. They are also considering the cost of a piezoelectric pressure transducer.
himanshu121
Hello

I want to make an alarm when the wing stall condition is reached, for that i want to convert pressure into electical signal, what would be he best way any idea?/

Thanks
Himanshu

Engineering news on Phys.org
Piezoelectric pressure sensor? Whenever there is a change in pressure, electricity is generated in this thing, albeit, for a very short while. You can program to use this electricity to switch on an alarm when there is a sudden change in pressure. Though I would suspect that that the change in pressure for stall would be different for different altitudes so it might be a bit tricky to program that.

How about a simple pitot tube and a pressure transducer?

Yes the pitot tube would be able to give the pressure while the pressure transducer would be able to convert it to electrical signals. that would do fine i guess...

You guess? That's exactly what pressure transducers do. They convert pressure to some form of electric signal. What else are you considering for the system? What other criteria do you have to meet?

I don't have any constraint of altitude,
what i am planning to do is first to make a wing airfoil section and a wind tunnel(H15 W15 L25) and to
detect a pressure change i am trying to place a diaphragm such that it helps in movement of a black paper in front of a light sensor. Whenever pressure changes, diaphragm would move such that the light sensor detects that change and alarms go on , is this feasible and if not ,then any other solution. Yes pitot tube would be good but i want to try some other way, using transducer would also help, how much a piezoelectric pressure transducer would cost?

Thanks Fred,sid and all

1. How does the pressure sensor work to convert pressure to an electrical signal?

The pressure sensor contains a diaphragm that flexes when exposed to air pressure. This movement is then converted into an electrical signal through the use of a transducer, which translates the physical pressure into an electrical output.

2. What type of pressure sensor is typically used for wing stall alarms?

The most common type of pressure sensor used for wing stall alarms is a differential pressure sensor. This type of sensor measures the difference in pressure between two points, which can indicate changes in air flow or stall conditions.

3. How accurate is the conversion of pressure to an electrical signal for wing stall alarms?

The accuracy of the conversion depends on the quality and calibration of the pressure sensor. In general, pressure sensors used for wing stall alarms have a high level of accuracy, typically within a few percentage points.

4. Can pressure sensors be affected by external factors, such as temperature or humidity?

Yes, pressure sensors can be affected by external factors. Changes in temperature or humidity can impact the accuracy of the sensor and may require calibration to maintain accuracy.

5. How is the electrical signal from the pressure sensor used to trigger a wing stall alarm?

The electrical signal from the pressure sensor is typically fed into a microcontroller or electronic circuit, which is programmed to detect certain pressure levels that may indicate a wing stall. When the pressure reaches a certain threshold, the circuit triggers an alarm or warning signal to alert the pilot.