Time Dilation on a Spaceship: Observing Earth's Clock at High Speeds

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of time dilation on a spaceship approaching Earth at 99.5% of the speed of light. The speaker clarifies that if the spaceship is approaching Earth, then the clocks on Earth would be seen ticking faster from the spaceship's perspective. However, if the spaceship is receding from Earth, then the clocks on Earth would be seen ticking slower. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding the Lorentz Transformation to fully comprehend these effects.
Veronica_Oles

Homework Statement

If someone on a spaceship looked at a clock on Earth traveling at 99.5% the speed of light what would they notice?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Would they notice that time is faster on earth? Is my assumption correct

Physics news on Phys.org
Veronica_Oles said:

Homework Statement

If someone on a spaceship looked at a clock on Earth traveling at 99.5% the speed of light what would they notice?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Would they notice that time is faster on earth? Is my assumption correct
Your question is rather poorly formed. Assuming that you meant that there is a spaceship approaching Earth at 99.5% of c, then what they would see with their eyes (via telescopes) is that clocks on Earth would be ticking faster than the ones on the ship.

phinds said:
Your question is rather poorly formed. Assuming that you meant that there is a spaceship approaching Earth at 99.5% of c, then what they would see with their eyes (via telescopes) is that clocks on Earth would be ticking faster than the ones on the ship.
yes that's exactly what I meant. Sorry for my poor wording.!

What assumption?

Are you familiar with the Lorentz Transformation?

phinds said:
Assuming that you meant that there is a spaceship approaching Earth at 99.5% of c, then what they would see with their eyes (via telescopes) is that clocks on Earth would be ticking faster than the ones on the ship.
Veronica_Oles said:
yes that's exactly what I meant. Sorry for my poor wording.!
If there is a spacecraft receding from Earth at 99.5% of c then they would see the clocks on Earth ticking more slowly than the ones on the ship.

But "how much faster?" and "how much slower?". That's where things start to get interesting.

@Veronica_Oles I think we may be confusing you because of language differences but when I went to look at your profile to confirm that you are not native to the US I was denied access. Really? You join a forum to ask questions but you don't want us to know about you?

That's your right of course but it seems self-defeating to me.

Likes Bystander

1. What is Einstein's Theory of Relativity?

Einstein's Theory of Relativity is a scientific theory that explains the relationship between space and time. It consists of two parts: the Special Theory of Relativity and the General Theory of Relativity. The Special Theory of Relativity explains the laws of physics in non-accelerated frames of reference, while the General Theory of Relativity explains the effects of gravity on objects in space.

2. How did Einstein come up with his theory?

Einstein's theory was the result of his own thought experiments and mathematical calculations. He was inspired by the work of other physicists, such as James Clerk Maxwell and Isaac Newton, and also drew on his own observations and experiments. His theory was a breakthrough in the understanding of the laws of physics and has been validated through numerous experiments and observations.

3. What is the significance of Einstein's Theory of Relativity?

Einstein's Theory of Relativity revolutionized our understanding of space, time, and gravity. It provided a new framework for understanding the laws of physics and has been the basis for many scientific advancements, including the development of nuclear energy and GPS technology. It also laid the foundation for modern theories of cosmology and the study of the universe.

4. Is Einstein's Theory of Relativity still relevant today?

Yes, Einstein's Theory of Relativity is still considered one of the most important and influential scientific theories in history. It has been extensively tested and validated through experiments and observations, and continues to be a fundamental part of our understanding of the natural world. It is also the basis for many modern technologies and ongoing research in fields such as astrophysics and quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any criticisms of Einstein's Theory of Relativity?

While Einstein's Theory of Relativity has been widely accepted and validated, there have been some criticisms and alternative theories proposed by other scientists. Some have questioned the accuracy of certain predictions made by the theory, such as the existence of black holes. However, these criticisms have not been widely accepted and Einstein's theory remains the dominant framework for understanding the laws of physics.