Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alchohol Ignition

1. Mar 15, 2017 #1
    1. Can anyone explain in basic way, when alcohol begins to burn from external fire touch, precisely in procentage. as we kown vodka 40% of alcohol dont fire up.
    2. Can anyone answer me in basic way, why is what ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2017 #2
    I don't get to understand what you want to know...

4. Mar 15, 2017 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Sure it does, you just have to know how to ignite it.

marcin_blue.jpg

I doubt you will get a single number as a lot depends on how you define ignition conditions.

5. Mar 15, 2017 #4

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

6. Apr 7, 2017 #5
    It's depending of the % of water and the % of alchohol I think. :smile:

7. Apr 8, 2017 #6

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The concentration of ethanol in the water has to be high enough for its vapor pressure to be within flammability limits at that temperature. The vapor pressure does not increase linearly from zero to the value of pure ethanol when the alcohol percentage is increased, so it's difficult to calculate the minimum concentration without having experimental data, but the "proof" scale of alcohol percentage, where 100 proof is equal to 50% vol. of ethanol is based on the approximate minimum flammable concentration at room temperature.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted