Alcohol absorbtion through skin.

In summary, drinking alcohol can increase your risk of developing oral cancer. This is due to the constant irritation caused by the alcohol passing over your upper lip, which can lead to chronic traumatic ulcers. These ulcers can act as pre-malignant lesions in a field that is already initiated by carcinogens, such as tobacco or alcohol.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
Ok, I'm drinking a whisky (a rather fine Islay blend too) and I'm increasingly noticing that the feeling in my upper lip is vanishing where the drink passes over it. I can only assume that I'm directly absorbing the alcohol through my skin, and the neurones in there are blind drunk. Am I right in assuming this, and is it doing any damage to me?

Biology news on Phys.org

While it is possible for a small amount of alcohol to be absorbed through the skin, it is unlikely that the sensation you are experiencing in your upper lip is due to this. The skin is a protective barrier and is not very permeable to alcohol. Additionally, the amount of alcohol that could be absorbed through the skin would be minimal compared to the amount you are consuming through drinking.

It is more likely that the sensation in your upper lip is due to the numbing effects of alcohol on your nerves and tissues. Alcohol is a depressant and can cause temporary numbness or tingling sensations in the body. This is a normal and common side effect of drinking alcohol and should not cause any lasting damage.

However, it is important to remember to drink responsibly and in moderation to avoid potential negative effects on your health. Excessive alcohol consumption can lead to serious health issues and should be avoided. If you have any concerns about your alcohol consumption, it is always best to consult with a healthcare professional.

1. How does alcohol absorption through skin occur?

Alcohol absorption through the skin occurs when the alcohol molecules are able to pass through the layers of the skin into the bloodstream. This process is known as transdermal absorption and it is influenced by factors such as the type of alcohol, concentration, and the thickness and health of the skin.

2. Is it possible to get drunk from using alcohol-based skincare products?

It is highly unlikely to get drunk from using alcohol-based skincare products. The amount of alcohol that can be absorbed through the skin is minimal and not enough to cause intoxication. Additionally, most skincare products contain a low concentration of alcohol, making it even less likely to have an effect on the body.

3. How long does it take for alcohol to be absorbed through the skin?

The rate of alcohol absorption through the skin varies depending on factors such as the amount of alcohol used, the concentration, and the thickness of the skin. On average, it can take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes for alcohol to be absorbed through the skin.

4. Are there any risks associated with alcohol absorption through the skin?

There can be potential risks associated with alcohol absorption through the skin, especially if high concentrations of alcohol are used. This can cause skin irritation, dryness, and damage to the skin barrier. It may also increase the risk of alcohol poisoning if large amounts of alcohol are used.

5. Can certain factors affect the rate of alcohol absorption through the skin?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the rate of alcohol absorption through the skin. These include the type of alcohol, concentration, skin thickness, and overall skin health. Other factors such as sweating, open wounds, and using products that promote skin permeability can also impact the rate of absorption.