Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alcohol amylase

1. Nov 9, 2003 #1
    I was just wondering, and it probably isn't a great, extreme complex question - But does alcohol contain a high or low enzyme reaction rate activity?

I know that amylase is not a starch because it comes out negative for Iodine; I know that amylase is not a sugar because it tests negative for Benedicts; and I know that amylase is a protein because it tests positive for Biuret, but amylase contains starch and glycerol and since alochol fermentation has to have starch in it would that still give it a high reaction rate or low reaction rate even though it is a solvent?

I'm not sure, so I could use some expertise in this biochemical field.

And one more thing, what is the optimal pH level for enzyme catalysts?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am a bit puzzled by the question..

Depends on the enzyme?

Amylase is an enzyme secreted in saliva and it helps in the digestion of starch and glycogen. Amylase is an enzyme, I am not sure why you say it CONTAINS starch and glycerol. Are you talking about the fermentation to get alcoholic drinks?

Depends entirely on the enzyme :)
  4. Nov 9, 2003 #3
    Sorry about that.

The enzyme that you needed would be catalase. For hydrogen peroxide to occur.

Yes, I am speaking of the fermentation to get alcoholic drinks containing one or more hydroxyl groups bound to carbon atoms. Yeppers.
  5. Nov 9, 2003 #4
    Jeebus, you seem rather confused. What, other than the question Monique correctly answered, are you trying to find out specifically?

Why you bring up catalase and why you think hydrogen peroxide is a verb I cannot tell.

And all though I do not know if amylase is a glycoprotein or not, I doubt it contains starch.

Furthermore, you don't need starch for alcohol fermentation. Rum, I believe, comes almost entirely from sucrose.

What are you saying is the solvent, amylase?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?