1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alcohol Combustion

1. Nov 28, 2007 #1
    We have an assignment where we're investigating combustion of types of 'fuels'. I chose 4 alcohols- ethanol, methanol, propanol and octanol. I did a few experiments, with one testing the heat produced

Could you please explain the formula for the heat value- not quite sure what its called :| I need to find out heat produced kj/mole. It was a test where I burned a water-filled calirometer with the alcohol and recorded the waters temp evry 15 seconds under a period of time, and the measurements of the alcohol lost.

The teacher couldnt explain it. He just confused me even more.. well if it helps, all i remember about the formula is it contained delta H. haha im a little clueless. sorry.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2007 #2

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Do your work in units of calories. Somewhere, you need to find how to convert calories to joules. You must know the meaning of 1 calorie; your calculation of results should be uncomplicated. Amount of heat needed to raise temperature of one gram of water by one degree centigrade = calorie
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?