Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alcohol + Sound sensitivity

1. Sep 27, 2005 #1
    Hi All,

I have a pretty off the wall question. I’m looking for a legit biological answer, not just asking for the sake of asking.

Admittedly, I like to party it up fairly often – I drink a fair amount of alcohol, but don’t do drugs of ANY kind. I’ve noticed that my senses towards sound become extremely sensitive under the influence of alcohol and I’m really trying to understand why.

I know this sounds a little crazy, but I know that many can identify with the phenomenon and was wondering if there was any real science that backed the thought?

It may be a perceived sensitivity, but I’m interested in understanding it regardless.

Thanks
    Warrick

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2005 #2

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One clarification: alcohol is a drug. It alters your physiology and your mind's perception. I am not jumping on any soapboxes to preach abstinence from alcohol. I consumed my share in undergraduate college days. Just wanted to be clear.

Regarding it heightening sensitivity to sound. I never noticed that.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?