Alcohols + non-organic acids = ?

In summary, if you mixed propanol and HCl, you would get water and 1-chloro-propane. However, if you mixed 2-propanol, you would get propyl ether and isopropyl-propyl ether.
wasteofo2
Let's say you mixed propanol and HCl, would you just get water and 1-chloro-propane?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes. O-chem 101 predicts that you should get the alkylhalide via a Sn2 mechanism.

You might also make a lot of diisopropyl ether.

I believe the because CL- is a poor nucleophile (given it's electronegativity and size), HCL by itself only reacts with Tertiary alcohols which is by the SN1 mechanism where the hydrogen protonates the -OH group, the water leaves, and the CL- attacks the carbocation. For primary and secondary alcohols you need the lucas reagent (ZnCl2) with HCL and for the secondary you get the same type of SN1 mechanism. The primary alcohol is not substituted enough to form a carbocation, so it is SN2, but is very slow.

HBr would be a beter hydrohalide to work with because Br- is a better nucleophile (larger molecule doesn't hold electrons so close, etc.) The same rules apply here with the primary being the only alcohol to undergo Sn2 displacement, secondary and tertiary go Sn1.

In short, if you mixed 1-propanol with HCl it may not react (maybe with excess acid and heat??) and you would probably need the ZnCl2 to promote the reaction and it would go Sn2. If you mixed 2-propanol you would probably still need the ZnCl2 but it would go Sn1. (There is an intermediate with the ZnCl2 where it binds to the Oxygen, OH-ZnCl2 is the leaving group.)

-A

movies said:
You might also make a lot of diisopropyl ether.

Cool, I didn't even think of ether formation (doh!) So, how does this work? For 1-propanol I could see it would be hard to get a carbocation for the hydride shift necessary to make the isopropyl ether, no? And, even then, wouldn't you get isopropyl-propyl ether because the n-propyl would attack? I could see via Sn2 getting propyl ether, though, because isn't n-propyl alcohol a better nucleophile than Cl-?

Or, were you speaking of 2-propanol?

-A

Oh yeah, I thought it was just isopropanol in the original question. My bad. Anyway, yes, if you had 1-propanol you'd just make the carbocation and then probably undergo a hydride shift followed by attack of another 1-propanol molecule.

This the way that they make diethyl ether industrially (using ethanol and H2SO4.)

Cool, Thanks for the info on the industrial synthesis.

I am going to try to hang out in here and take in some of the knowledge before the ACS exam... I might post a few questions maybe you can help me on later:)

thx!
Angela.

1. What happens when alcohols react with non-organic acids?

When alcohols react with non-organic acids, a chemical reaction takes place that results in the formation of esters. This reaction is known as esterification and involves the substitution of a hydroxyl group (-OH) in the alcohol with an acid group (-COOH) from the acid. The byproduct of this reaction is water.

2. What are the products of the reaction between alcohols and non-organic acids?

The products of the reaction between alcohols and non-organic acids are esters and water. Esters are organic compounds with a distinct fruity smell and are commonly used in perfumes and flavorings.

3. What types of alcohols can react with non-organic acids?

Alcohols of all types, including primary, secondary, and tertiary alcohols, can react with non-organic acids to form esters. The reactivity of alcohols depends on the presence of a hydroxyl group (-OH) in their structure.

4. Can the reaction between alcohols and non-organic acids be reversed?

Yes, the reaction between alcohols and non-organic acids can be reversed through a process known as hydrolysis. In hydrolysis, the ester is broken down into its original components, alcohol, and acid, by the addition of water and a strong acid or base.

5. What are the industrial applications of the reaction between alcohols and non-organic acids?

The reaction between alcohols and non-organic acids has many industrial applications. Esters produced from this reaction are used in the production of perfumes, flavorings, and plasticizers. They are also used as solvents in various industries such as paints, coatings, and adhesives.