1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aleph null !

1. Apr 30, 2008 #1
    How might one show that (aleph_null)! = aleph_1?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One might start by defining the "factorial function" for aleph_null!

4. May 1, 2008 #3
    Ok, so the person who proposed this problem to me gave me a way to understand (aleph_null)!.

So, consider two sets, A and B. Then |A|*|B|=|A x B|, where AxB is the cartesian product of A and B.

Thus, consider N_m={1,2,3,...m}, and |N_m|=m.

Then (aleph_null)! = |N_1 x N_2 x N_3 x ...... |.

So how can I find a bijection from N_1 x N_2 x N_3 x ...... to, say, P(N), the power set of the naturals?

5. May 1, 2008 #4

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Consider {1} x {1, 2} x {1, 2, 3} x ... as the base 1-2-3-... expansion of a number in [0, 1), then biject [0, 1) with the reals by your favorite method. You have at most a countable number of issues with rational numbers. which you can likewise deal with in your preferred method.

This shows that the set has cardinality [itex]\beth_1[/itex], not [itex]\aleph_1[/itex] unless you have the CH.

6. May 1, 2008 #5
    Or show that 1x2x3x4.........is greater than or equal to 2x2x2x2x2.... and less than or equal to aleph null^aleph null. Still, this only indicates the factorial is equal to beth_1 without CH, like CRGreathouse said.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?