Why do my Alerts keep reappearing after refreshing the page?

• Bug
  • Thread starter symbolipoint
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the feature of alerts in the site's top bar and how they are displayed when using the Refresh button. It is noted that the alerts can be accessed by clicking directly on the icon, but the issue is with the alerts appearing again after using the Refresh button. It is concluded that this may be a useful feature and can be learned to be used effectively. There is also a mention of the All button at the top of the alerts list and how it may require one more click to access all alerts.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
This might not be a bug; but just something I notice.

Alerts are sometimes indicated in the site's top bar.
RightClick, choose New Tab, and I see the list of current Alerts, topics I am participating, topics I have given a reaction to ("Likes").

I open each of the items one at a time.
I click browser Refresh, and each time, the items or item I have checked on disappears from the list, leaving the remaining Alert items I have not yet checked on.

Finally I rightclick & new tab the last Alert item on the list, and then...

I can click on the browser Refresh button; but instead of the last item/s disappearing, a big long listing of Alerted items shows in the listing page.
This seems unusual or peculiar. I do not know if this is a bug or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
symbolipoint said:
I can click on the browser Refresh button; but instead of the last item/s disappearing, a big long listing of Alerted items shows in the listing page.
Assuming you mean they show up but NOT as "unread" then that's a feature not a bug. I don't know how many alerts are saved or for how long but it's normal for a list to persist.

Personally, I see this as a good thing.

Last edited:
phinds said:
Personally, I see this as a good thing.
I can learn to use it that way.

symbolipoint said:
I can learn to use it that way.
I hope that's not because you have as bad a memory as I do. :smile:

phinds said:
I hope that's not because you have as bad a memory as I do. :smile:
The usefulness is that once I go through the list, and read all the alert-posts, I might rethink, that I wanted to check one or more of them again, and maybe make a response to one. If clicking on the Bell icon at the top brings back the full listing of the Alerts, then I can find the one or ones I wanted to see again.

Likes BvU
It seems that you are complaining about having to make one more click on the "All" word at the top of the alerts list.

1635077228231.png

anorlunda said:
It seems that you are complaining about having to make one more click on the "All" word at the top of the alerts list.

View attachment 291101
No, we are both talking about clicking directly on the alerts icon, not wasting time going to our account to do it.

anorlunda said:

View attachment 291101

phinds said:
No, we are both talking about clicking directly on the alerts icon, not wasting time going to our account to do it.
Neither of them, exactly.
The complaint was clicking the browser's Refresh tool and then finding ALL of the previously recent Alerts being listed again; which I said, may be of further use and that I can learn to live with it. More of a feature instead of a bug.

Likes berkeman

1. What is an alert?

An alert is a notification that is sent to a user when a specific event or condition occurs. It is typically used to inform users about important or time-sensitive information.

2. How do I create an alert?

To create an alert, you will need to access the Alerts list in your system or application. From there, you can click on the "Create Alert" button and fill out the necessary information, such as the event or condition that will trigger the alert and the recipients who will receive it.

3. Can I customize the alerts that I receive?

Yes, most systems or applications allow users to customize their alerts based on their preferences. You can usually select the type of events or conditions that will trigger an alert, the frequency of alerts, and the method of delivery (e.g. email, text message, etc.).

4. How do I view my alerts?

You can view your alerts by accessing the Alerts list in your system or application. Depending on the system, you may also receive alerts via email or text message, which you can view on your device.

5. Can I delete or modify an existing alert?

Yes, you can usually delete or modify an existing alert by accessing the Alerts list and selecting the alert you want to change. Some systems may also allow you to manage your alerts through your account settings.