Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bug Alerts Bug

1. Jul 13, 2016 #1

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I think I've had a bug with the Alerts feature. At 9:49 my time I replied to the following thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...arent-separated-colors-actually-mixed.878650/

A few hours later the thread was replied to, however there is no alert for this thread in either my Alerts dropdown or the Alerts page. There have been Alerts for other threads I'm watching, but not for this one.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2016 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

I've noticed this too and I don't think its a bug. It seems to me you don't get an alert for every single reply that is posted to a watched thread. There seems to be a little more complicated way of figuring out when to send a reply alert to the user but I couldn't figure it out. Maybe it only sends an alert after a certain number of replies has been posted, or maybe just sends an alert if after some time there is at least a new reply. The second possibility seems more probable to me.

4. Jul 13, 2016 #3

Drakkith

You are correct in that you only receive an alert once, no matter how many replies there are, until you view the thread again. However the very next post after mine is the one I'm talking about, so I should have received an alert.

5. Jul 13, 2016 #4

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Yeah, there is only one alert. But what I'm saying is that maybe that one alert is not when a new reply is sent exactly since the last time you visited the thread. Maybe the system waits for some time T and if after that time there is at least one reply, then alerts you. Or maybe it waits until there are at least N replies since you left, and then alerts you.

6. Jul 13, 2016 #5
    Are you sure the thread is still being "Watched"?

7. Jul 13, 2016 #6

Drakkith

Yes. I checked as soon as I realized someone had replied and I am still watching the thread (I have the "unwatch thread" option showing instead of the "watch thread").

8. Jul 13, 2016 #7
    Alert Preferences enabled?

9. Jul 13, 2016 #8

Drakkith

Yep. I've been getting alerts left and right for a half dozen different threads over the last hour or so, including this one.

10. Jul 13, 2016 #9

mfb

2016 Award

Did the thread appear in the watched thread as unread?
    (I think this page is much more useful than getting 10+ alerts for threads).

11. Jul 13, 2016 #10

Drakkith

I didn't check that page, and for the moment the thread is not "unread".

12. Jul 13, 2016 #11

Drakkith

I'm off to bed to get a couple of hours of sleep. I'll answer any further questions after I wake up.

13. Jul 13, 2016 #12
    I would just consider this a one off. If it happens again let me know.

14. Jul 13, 2016 #13

Drakkith

I swear it has happened multiple times. If I can pin down another example I'll let you know.
    Thanks Greg.

15. Jul 13, 2016 #14

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I have been experiencing oddness in alerts too, though I have no specific examples.

16. Jul 13, 2016 #15

Ibix

Science Advisor

I think I missed a couple yesterday. I assumed it was just me losing track, but if others were also having issues maybe not. I'll also keep my eyes open so I can give useful bug reports...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted