Can Alfvén waves be observed on a stellar spectrum using amateur equipment?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of using amateur equipment for studying magnetic fields near the sun. The speaker is currently doing amateur stellar spectroscopy at low to medium resolution and wants to expand to studying magnetic fields. They mention studying plasma physics and being aware of Alfvén waves and question how these could be observed on a spectrum. They also mention the difficulty of observing Zeeman splitting with typical amateur equipment.
Getterdog
TL;DR Summary
Asking wether Alfvén waves could be observed by amateur astronomers
I currently do amateur stellar spectroscopy, low to medium resolution, and I like to expand further to study magnetic fields near the sun.
I just started studying plasma physics and am aware of Alfvén waves. How would these be observed on a spectrum.? Would it be oscillating Ha lines, or oscillation of polarization? In other words ,what could be observed by an an amateur with grating and polarizing filters? Thanks jack

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't know the answer to your question but just to observe the zeeman splitting requires and R of 30000 or above. Given the atmosphere I think it would be very difficult with typical amateur equipment.
Regards Andrew

1. Can Alfvén waves be observed on a stellar spectrum using amateur equipment?

Yes, Alfvén waves can be observed on a stellar spectrum using amateur equipment. However, it may require specialized equipment and techniques.

2. What are Alfvén waves?

Alfvén waves are a type of electromagnetic wave that travels through plasma, a state of matter in which atoms are ionized and free electrons exist.

3. How are Alfvén waves detected?

Alfvén waves are detected through their effects on the surrounding plasma, such as changes in density and magnetic field. These changes can be measured using specialized instruments.

4. What types of stars are most likely to exhibit Alfvén waves?

Alfvén waves are most commonly observed in stars with strong magnetic fields, such as red dwarfs and white dwarfs. They can also be observed in the outer layers of the Sun.

5. Why is it important to study Alfvén waves?

Studying Alfvén waves can provide valuable insights into the structure and dynamics of stars, as well as the behavior of plasma in extreme environments. This can help us better understand the universe and potentially develop new technologies.