Alg. 2 question

  • #1
If A=9^9999 + 9^-9999 and B= 9^9999 - 9^-9999.
Then find the value of A^2 -B^2 + 1.


would i just take the the numbers and square them to get the value. What should i do.
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
35
0
[tex]A^2 - B^2 = ( A+B )( A-B )[/tex]

for any [itex] A, B[/itex]
That should simplify it a great deal
 
  • #3
so would the values be 0 or 18. this question is confusing to me even when you did simplify it for me
 
  • #4
James R
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
600
15
Put p = 9^9999 and q= 9^-9999

Then A = p+q and B = p-q

You want:

[tex]A^2 + B^2 - 1 = (p+q)^2 + (p-q)^2 - 1 = (p^2 + q^2 + 2pq) + (p^2 +q^2 - 2pq) - 1[/tex]
[tex]= 2p^2 + 2q^2 - 1 = 2(9^{9999}) + 2(9^{-9999}) - 1[/tex]
 
  • #5
Curious3141
Homework Helper
2,843
87
James R said:
Put p = 9^9999 and q= 9^-9999

Then A = p+q and B = p-q

You want:

[tex]A^2 + B^2 - 1 = (p+q)^2 + (p-q)^2 - 1 = (p^2 + q^2 + 2pq) + (p^2 +q^2 - 2pq) - 1[/tex]
[tex]= 2p^2 + 2q^2 - 1 = 2(9^{9999}) + 2(9^{-9999}) - 1[/tex]
Unnecessarily complicated, and I'm afraid you read the question wrongly.

[tex]A = 9^{9999} + 9^{-9999}[/tex] and [tex]B = 9^{9999} - 9^{-9999}[/tex]

[tex]A + B = (2)(9^{9999})[/tex] and [tex]A - B = (2)(9^{-9999})[/tex]

[tex]A^2 - B^2 + 1 = (A + B)(A - B) + 1 = (4)(9^{9999})(9^{-9999}) + 1 = 4 + 1 = 5[/tex]
 
  • #6
James R
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
600
15
Curious3141 said:
Unnecessarily complicated, and I'm afraid you read the question wrongly.
I would argue that my solution is no more complicated than yours. You are, however, correct that I copied the question wrongly. My correct solution is:

[tex]A^2 - B^2 + 1 = (p+q)^2 - (p-q)^2 + 1 = (p^2 + q^2 + 2pq) - (p^2 +q^2 - 2pq) + 1[/tex]
[tex]=4pq + 1 = 4(9^{9999})(9^{-9999}) + 1 = 4 + 1 = 5[/tex]

So, we agree.
 
  • #7
they both seem right to me just that the letters are changed and makes it a little organized and not messy. So the right answer is 4+1 = 5.
Thanks for the help.
 
  • #8
I was wondering if you an explantation for what you did since my teachers requires how we got it instead of just stating a thoure (how ever you spell it) about how we got it. it is kind of stuiped but makes perfect sense to him.
 
  • #9
Curious3141
Homework Helper
2,843
87
James R said:
I would argue that my solution is no more complicated than yours. You are, however, correct that I copied the question wrongly. My correct solution is:

[tex]A^2 - B^2 + 1 = (p+q)^2 - (p-q)^2 + 1 = (p^2 + q^2 + 2pq) - (p^2 +q^2 - 2pq) + 1[/tex]
[tex]=4pq + 1 = 4(9^{9999})(9^{-9999}) + 1 = 4 + 1 = 5[/tex]

So, we agree.
I feel it's needlessly complicated to expand out the square terms, you can factorise immediately without doing that. With your notation, it would simply be :

[tex](p + q)^2 - (p - q)^2 + 1 = (p + q + p - q)(p + q - p + q) + 1 = (2p)(2q) + 1 = 4pq + 1[/tex]

and I personally think that is simpler, IMHO. But let's not split hairs.
 
  • #10
James R
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
600
15
It's two ways to get to the same destination. I agree your method is perhaps neater, but requires more insight at the start, and so is perhaps not as direct as mine. We could argue over pedagogic value, too, but I'm happy to leave it here.

Gee, I have a big ego! :)
 

Related Threads on Alg. 2 question

Replies
6
Views
806
  • Last Post
Replies
5
Views
2K
Replies
1
Views
1K
Replies
1
Views
2K
Replies
2
Views
2K
Top