1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algbra Proof

1. Nov 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A finite,commutative grp is not cyclic

it has a subgrp that is isomorphic to (Z mod p) x (Z mod p) , for a prime p.

2. Relevant equations

I am having trouble and I would appreciate a hint.

3. The attempt at a solution

Let G be a finite commutative grp with order n.

Assume that G is not cyclic. This means that there are no elements in G which are relatively prime with n and n is not a prime otherwise it would be cyclic.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This doesn't make sense. Instead, you want to notice that n must have a repeated prime factor. The fact that G is commutative is vital here.
  4. Nov 5, 2008 #3
    Could you give me an example of this? I am having trouble without an example and I had the misconception that "comm. iff cyclic". I now see the theorem in the book and it's only one way.

There is also a note in the book that, A subgrp of a comm. grp has the same left and right cosets.
  5. Nov 5, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Example of what? A commutative noncyclic group? (Z mod p) x (Z mod p) is one!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?