30 minutes to Correct 150 Quizzes - Algebra 1 Problem

In summary, the problem involves Mr. Jacobs and his student aide correcting 150 quizzes together. Mr. Jacobs corrects 3 quizzes per minute and his student aide corrects 2 quizzes per minute. Working together, they can correct 5 quizzes per minute, so it will take them 30 minutes to correct 150 quizzes. Other solutions may also involve calculating rates and using the formula Rate * Time = Jobs.
AznBoi
I'm confused on how to solve this problem effectively. I have solved it using my own "wierd" way. I will post my solution but please post others that may be more understandable. Thanks.

Problem: Mr. Jacobs can correct 150 quizzes in 50 minutes. His student aide can correct 150 quizzes in 75 minutes. Working together, how many minutes will it take them to correct 150 quizzes?

My solution:
150q/50m = 15/5=3x

150q/75m= 2x

2x+3x=5x=150

x=30 ..lol

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Think of correcting 150 quizes as "one job". The problem description involves rates. Rate * Time = Jobs

Mr. Jacobs: 1 job per 50 minutes
student aid: 1 job per 75 minutes

Similar to rate*time=distance, these rates may be additive if Mr. Jacobs and his aid work together.

Actually, your "weird" way is perfectly reasonable- you calculated the rate at which they correct grades: Mr. Jacobs corrects 3 quizzes per minute and his aid corrects 2 quizzes per minute. Together they correct 5 quizzes per minute.

1. How will correcting 150 quizzes in 30 minutes benefit me as a student?

This exercise will help you to improve your algebra skills and increase your speed in solving problems. It will also help you to identify areas that need more practice and review.

2. Is 30 minutes enough time to correct 150 quizzes?

Yes, it is possible to correct 150 quizzes in 30 minutes if you are focused and organized. With practice, you can improve your speed and accuracy.

3. Can I use this exercise to study for an upcoming algebra test?

Yes, this exercise can be a great way to review for an algebra test. It will help you to assess your understanding of different algebra concepts and identify any gaps in your knowledge.

4. What if I am unable to correct all 150 quizzes in 30 minutes?

It's okay if you are unable to finish correcting all 150 quizzes in 30 minutes. The purpose of this exercise is to help you improve your skills and identify areas for improvement. Take your time and focus on accuracy rather than speed.

5. Can I do this exercise with a group or should I do it alone?

You can do this exercise with a group or alone, whichever works best for you. If you choose to do it with a group, make sure to work together and discuss the solutions to the problems to learn from each other.