1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra 1 Textbooks

1. Dec 4, 2005 #1
    What would be a good algebra 1 textbook? I'm out of high school & aced algebra in high school. However it has been four years... & well I don't remember anything I learned from the classes. I went to amazon.com & checked for algebra 1 textbooks (figure I might as well start from the beginning, I can skip parts that come back to me). On amazon.com a lot of the textbooks got negative reviews. I'm not sure if people just weren't comprehending what they were reading or the textbooks just weren't written well. Anyway, if you have any advice or a good textbook name, please let me know. I tried to search forums to see if anyone else brought up the question but I couldn't find anything. Thanks in advance for your time. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2005 #2
    This is not a book, and I know that is what you are asking for. But purplemath is an excellent resource for algebra topics. Check it out. It might be all you need.

4. Dec 4, 2005 #3
    Great link, thanks. This may be just what I need to pick out the sections I have totally forgotten. Already added it as a bookmark. :approve:

5. Dec 4, 2005 #4
    Hi Kuahji,
    I was in the same boat as you, brushing up on Algebra after being out of school for a while (7 years).
    I picked up the fifth edition of Allen R. Angel's "Elementary Algebra for College Students" and "Intermediate Algebra for College Students" at a local used book store. I was really impressed with the books. Very clear and concise. They really helped me relearn all that forgotten math in a minimal amount of time.

Amazon has the 5th editions (same editions I had) for under $5 each:
    Elementary Algebra for College Students
    Intermediate Algebra for College Students

Good luck!
    GM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?