Algebra 2 Help: Simplifying a Complex Fraction with Step-by-Step Guide

Whoops I pasted the wrong thing, I fixed my post, sorry about that.In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving simplifying rational expressions. The problem given is (x² + x - 30)/(2x² + 9x -10) * (4x² - 2x)/(x² - 36). The expert suggests factoring each polynomial to find cancellations, but there may be a typo in the original problem. Eventually, it is discovered that there is a mistake in the original problem and the correct answer is (2x(x-5)(2x-1))/((x-6)(x+6)).
-1337-
Well, I need help solving the next problem:
Math Problem said:
x² + x - 30 over 2x² + 9x -10 multiplied by 4x² - 2x over x² - 36

All you have to do is simplify it. Also, would you be so kind and show your work? Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
-1337- said:
Well, I need help solving the next problem:

All you have to do is simplify it. Also, would you be so kind and show your work? Thank you.

[tex]\frac{x^2+x-10}{2x^2+9x-10} \frac{4x^2-2x}{x^2-36}[/tex]

I would start by factoring each polynomial. You will find there are several cancellations.

If this doesn't seem that informative, remember that YOU need to show your work so we can find where you need the help!

-Dan

topsquark said:

I would start by factoring each polynomial. You will find there are several cancellations.

If this doesn't seem that informative, remember that YOU need to show your work so we can find where you need the help!

-Dan
It's impossible to factor "2x² + 9x -10" isn't it?

topsquark said:

-Dan

Have you tried to factor any of those? The only 2 that factor don't cancel out.

d_leet said:
Have you tried to factor any of those? The only 2 that factor don't cancel out.

Crap! I factored the 2x^2+9x-10 wrong. You are correct. There is either a typo in the original or the problem is bad. (Or someone made the same mistake I did!)

-Dan

Last edited:
topsquark said:
I can factor all but the [tex]x^2+x-10[/tex]. Usually more cancels out in these problems though.

Take a look at [tex]2x^2+9x-10[/tex]. Since 2 is prime this will factor somehow into a product that looks like [tex]2x^2+9x-10=(2x+a)(x+b)=2x^2+(a+2b)x+ab[/tex]. a and b are factors of 10. What might they be?

-Dan

That doesn't factor into integers if you create a system of equations you end up back where you started, and if you try the quadratic equation you don't get rational numbers.

I'm terribly sorry, it's x² + x - 30, not x² + x -10, but I can factor that. Also, can you explain, please, I have to go to bed soon.

-1337- said:
I'm terribly sorry, it's x² + x - 30, not x² + x -10, but I can factor that. Also, can you explain, please, I have to go to bed soon.

Well then some more things cancel out, are you sure that it was 2x^2+9x-10 in the original problem because if that's wrong then more things may cancel.

d_leet said:
Well then some more things cancel out, are you sure that it was 2x^2+9x-10 in the original problem because if that's wrong then more things may cancel.
Yes, I'm positive about the 2x² + 9x -10. I guess my teacher didn't write the problem correctly.

I know how to factor the x² + x - 30 and the x² - 36, but not the other two.

Last edited:
-1337- said:

That helps. Please note the correction I made to my last post. I screwed up and didn't notice before I posted.

I can factor the new polynomial, but still nothing cancels. Are you certain about the 2x^2+9x-10?

-Dan

-1337- said:
Yes, I'm positive about the 2x² + 9x -10. I guess my teacher didn't write the problem correctly.

Ok well, with the other correction there are some things which cancel if you factor every polynomial so do you think you can give it a try now?

topsquark said:
That helps. Please note the correction I made to my last post. I screwed up and didn't notice before I posted.

I can factor the new polynomial, but still nothing cancels. Are you certain about the 2x^2+9x-10?

-Dan

One thing will cancel. There is a common factor between x^2+x-30 and x^2 - 36.

Last edited:
Thank you for all of your help. I'll ask my teacher tommorow.

Also, something does cancel out. If you factor x² + x - 30 you get (x + 6)(x - 5), and if you factor x² - 36 you get (x + 6)(x - 6). The (x + 6)' s cancel each other other out.

d_leet said:
One thing will cancel. There is a common factor between 2x^2+9x-10 and x^2 - 36.

As you pointed out, 2x^2+9x-10 doesn't factor.

-Dan

topsquark said:
As you pointed out, 2x^2+9x-10 doesn't factor.

-Dan

Whoops I pasted the wrong thing, I fixed my post, sorry about that.

I got this as my answer:

[tex]\frac{2x(x-5)(2x-1)}{(x-6)(2x^2+9x-10)}[/tex]

What is Algebra 2?

Algebra 2 is a branch of mathematics that builds upon the concepts learned in Algebra 1. It involves the study of equations, functions, graphs, and various other mathematical models.

Why is Algebra 2 important?

Algebra 2 is an important subject because it helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also provides a foundation for higher-level math courses and is essential for many careers, such as engineering, finance, and science.

What are the main topics covered in Algebra 2?

Some of the main topics covered in Algebra 2 include linear and quadratic equations, polynomials, rational expressions, logarithms, and exponential functions. It also covers topics such as matrices, sequences and series, and conic sections.

What are some common challenges students face in Algebra 2?

Some common challenges students face in Algebra 2 include understanding complex concepts, applying algebraic rules and formulas correctly, and solving multi-step problems. Time management and organization can also be a challenge for some students.

How can I get help with Algebra 2?

There are various resources available for students seeking help with Algebra 2. These include textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and working with a tutor. It is essential to practice regularly and seek help when needed to improve understanding and performance in the subject.