1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra 2 i think

1. Dec 22, 2004 #1
    Hello! I was wondering how one knows that the tangent of 270 degrees is undefined without graphing it? I know tangent=opposite/hypotenuse, but how can you find the length of the opposite leg and hypotenuse? gah, i'm so confused.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2004 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]\tan 270^{\circ}=:\frac{\sin 270^{\circ}}{\cos 270^{\circ}}=\frac{\sin(90^{\circ}+180^{\circ})}{\cos(90^{\circ}+180^{\circ})}=\frac{\sin 90^{\circ}}{\cos 90^{\circ}}=\frac{1}{0} [/tex]
    ,which is undefined.

Daniel.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2004
  4. Dec 22, 2004 #3
    Wow. I can't believe I've never been taught that before.. and ahh I feel stupid now. but thanks SO sososo SO much!!

5. Dec 22, 2004 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Strictly speaking, you can't use "opposite side divided by near side" to find the tangent of 270 degrees because a right triangle can't have a 270 degree angle!

A more general definition is to think of this as on a coordinate system, measuring the angle counterclockwise from the positive x-axis, interpreting "near side" as the x coordinate, and "opposite side" as the y coordinate. A 270 degree angle would give a point on the negative y-axis with x= 0. Since we can't divide by 0, tan 270 is undefined.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook