Algebra 2: Understanding Tangent of 270 Degrees

In summary, the tangent of 270 degrees is undefined because it is impossible to have a right triangle with a 270 degree angle. In a more general sense, on a coordinate system, the tangent of 270 degrees would result in a point on the negative y-axis with an x-coordinate of 0, making it undefined.
xtinieee
Hello! I was wondering how one knows that the tangent of 270 degrees is undefined without graphing it? I know tangent=opposite/hypotenuse, but how can you find the length of the opposite leg and hypotenuse? gah, I'm so confused.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
xtinieee said:
Hello! I was wondering how one knows that the tangent of 270 degrees is undefined without graphing it? I know tangent=opposite/hypotenuse, but how can you find the length of the opposite leg and hypotenuse? gah, I'm so confused.

[tex]\tan 270^{\circ}=:\frac{\sin 270^{\circ}}{\cos 270^{\circ}}=\frac{\sin(90^{\circ}+180^{\circ})}{\cos(90^{\circ}+180^{\circ})}=\frac{\sin 90^{\circ}}{\cos 90^{\circ}}=\frac{1}{0} [/tex]
,which is undefined.

Daniel.

Last edited:
Wow. I can't believe I've never been taught that before.. and ahh I feel stupid now. but thanks SO sososo SO much!

Strictly speaking, you can't use "opposite side divided by near side" to find the tangent of 270 degrees because a right triangle can't have a 270 degree angle!

A more general definition is to think of this as on a coordinate system, measuring the angle counterclockwise from the positive x-axis, interpreting "near side" as the x coordinate, and "opposite side" as the y coordinate. A 270 degree angle would give a point on the negative y-axis with x= 0. Since we can't divide by 0, tan 270 is undefined.

1. What is the definition of tangent in Algebra 2?

In Algebra 2, tangent is a trigonometric function that represents the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side of a right triangle.

2. How is tangent used to find the value of an angle?

Tangent can be used to find the value of an angle by taking the inverse tangent function, also known as arctangent, of the given ratio. This will give the measure of the angle in radians or degrees.

3. What is the tangent of 270 degrees?

The tangent of 270 degrees is undefined, as the tangent function is not defined for angles that are multiples of 90 degrees. This is because the adjacent side of a right triangle is 0 at these angles, making the ratio undefined.

4. Can the tangent of 270 degrees be simplified?

No, the tangent of 270 degrees cannot be simplified, as it is undefined. It is important to remember that undefined values cannot be simplified.

5. How can understanding tangent of 270 degrees be applied in real life?

Understanding tangent of 270 degrees can be applied in real life in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. It can be used to calculate the slope of a ramp or the angle of a roof, for example.