Algebra 2 Problems: Problem 2, 4, 14, 22 & 23

In summary, for problem 2, you need to multiply the equation y=a(x-r1)(x+r2) and complete the square to find the coordinates of the vertex. For problem 4, you can use the quadratic formula to find the discriminant. For problem 14, you need to square both sides to get rid of the square roots and then solve for x. For problem 22, you need to set the equation x^3+bx^2+cx-10=0 equal to (x-a)(x-b)(x-c) and choose c so that -abc=-10. For problem 23, you can write the cubic polynomial as (x-a)(x-b)(x-c) and use the given
mustang
Consider the equation y=a(x-r1)(x+r2) for problem 2 & 4.
Problem 2. State the coordinates of the vertex.
Problem 4. State the value of the discruminant.

Problem 14. Solve: sqrt(x-4) + 10 = sqrt(x+4)

Problem 22.
Find integers b and c such that the equation x^3+bx^2+cx-10=0 has -2+i as a root.

Problem 23. If P(x) is a cibic polynomial such that P(-3)=P(-1)=P(2)=0 and P(0)=6, find P(x).

Physics news on Phys.org
What progress have you made on the problems so far? Can you show us what you've tried?

cookiemonster

Problem 18.
3(2)^2+k(2)-8 ----I inserted the value of x equaling 2.
36+k(2)-8
28+k^2
k^2=-28
k=sqrt(-28)
k=2isqrt(7)

For the rectangle problem I believe that the problem is in the ax^2+bx+c=0.

This is Algebra 2 homework.

Regarding Problem 18??

Sorry it was to be referred to another question I had in a different thread.

mustang said:
Consider the equation y=a(x-r1)(x+r2) for problem 2 & 4.
Problem 2. State the coordinates of the vertex.
Problem 4. State the value of the discruminant.

Problem 14. Solve: sqrt(x-4) + 10 = sqrt(x+4)

Problem 22.
Find integers b and c such that the equation x^3+bx^2+cx-10=0 has -2+i as a root.

Problem 23. If P(x) is a cibic polynomial such that P(-3)=P(-1)=P(2)=0 and P(0)=6, find P(x).

(2) Multiply a(x-r1)(x+r2) out and complete the square to find the vertex.

(4) You got a quadratic when you multiplied in (2) so just use the formula for the discriminant from the quadratic formula.

(14) Square both sides to get rid of (one of) the square roots. If you still have a square root left, square again!

(22) Assuming that b and c are supposed to be real numbers, then for the polynomial equation to have -2+i as a root, it must also have -2-i as a root. Now you know a and b in x^3+bx^2+cx-10= (x-a)(x-b)(x-c). Choose c so that -abc= -10.

(23) Just as the easiest way to solve a polynomial equation is to factor the polynomial, so a cubic with roots a, b, c can be written as (x-a)(x-b)(x-c).

For problems 14 and 22.

Problem 14.
This is what i have done:
(sqrt[x-4]+10)^2=(x+4)^2
x-4+20sqrt(x-4)+100=x+4
20sqrt(x-4)=92
400(x-4) = 8,464 --I squared both sides.
400x-1600=8464
400x=10,064
x=25.16

Is this right??

Problem 22.
This is what I have done:
x^3+bx^2+cx-10= (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)
Would i input the values -2+i and -2-i for a and b. TO find the value for c?

What is Algebra 2 Problem 2?

Algebra 2 Problem 2 is a specific mathematical problem that falls under the subject of Algebra 2. It may involve solving equations, graphing functions, or manipulating algebraic expressions.

How do I solve Algebra 2 Problem 4?

To solve Algebra 2 Problem 4, you will need to carefully read the problem and identify what information is given and what is being asked. Then, you can use your knowledge of Algebra 2 concepts and techniques to solve the problem step by step.

What is the significance of Algebra 2 Problem 14?

Algebra 2 Problem 14 may have specific significance in the context of a larger lesson or concept in Algebra 2. It may also be a commonly used example or type of problem that helps students understand a certain concept or skill.

Why is Algebra 2 Problem 22 challenging?

Algebra 2 Problem 22 may be challenging because it requires a combination of different Algebra 2 skills and techniques. It may also involve multiple steps and require careful attention to detail.

How can I check my solution to Algebra 2 Problem 23?

You can check your solution to Algebra 2 Problem 23 by plugging your answer back into the original problem and seeing if it satisfies all the given conditions. You can also use online calculators or ask a teacher or tutor for assistance.