Foci and the definition of a hyperbola

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an equation of a hyperbola where the difference between the distances from two points is a constant for any point on the hyperbola. The suggested approach is to graph the points and determine the center and a and b values for the equation. However, the correct midpoints for the x values are (6,2) and the equation should include the midpoint and distance from the center. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding the relationship between the constant and the equation of the hyperbola.
darshanpatel

Homework Statement

Find an equation of a hyperbola such that for any point (x,y) on the hyperbola, the difference between its distances from the points (2,2) and (10,2) is 6.

Homework Equations

-None-

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried graphing it and making the (10,2) and (2,2) the vertices of the graphs. They open left to right because the points are horizontal to each other.

Equation for that type of circle: (y-k)^2/(a^2)-(x-h)^2/(b^2)=1

Distance between the two vertices =6 so center is (3,2)

I don't know what to do to get the a and b values because the equation right now would be:

(((y-2)^2)/(a^2))-(((x-3)^2)/(b^2))=1

Also is that right this far?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll have to think a bit about the answer, but I can tell you right now that the answer isn't what you are describing. The vertices you are describing are 8 units apart, not 6 (10-2=8). Also, the midpoint of the x values of the line segment connecting the two points would be [itex]\frac{10+2}{2} = 6[/itex], so the midpoint would be (6,2), not (3,2).

Edit: Okay, I think I have it now. What are the two points in the plane called where, for every point on the hyperbola, the absolute value of the difference of the distance to each of those two points is a constant? How does that constant relate to the equation of the hyperbola?

Last edited:

1. What is a conic section in Algebra 2?

A conic section is a curve that can be formed by slicing a cone at different angles. In Algebra 2, conic sections are typically studied as equations of curves that can be graphed on a coordinate plane.

2. How do you translate a conic section in Algebra 2?

To translate a conic section, you will need to use the general form of the equation for that particular conic section. Then, you will need to apply the appropriate transformation rules, such as shifting the graph horizontally or vertically, or stretching or compressing the graph. These rules will depend on the specific conic section being translated.

3. What are the different types of conic sections in Algebra 2?

The four main types of conic sections studied in Algebra 2 are circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas. Each of these types has a specific equation and properties that can be translated on a coordinate plane.

4. How do you graph a translated conic section in Algebra 2?

To graph a translated conic section, you will need to determine the center and shape of the conic section, as well as any transformations applied to it. Then, you can plot the points on a coordinate plane using the general equation and the transformation rules.

5. What are some real-world applications of translating conic sections in Algebra 2?

Conic sections can be found in many real-world applications, such as designing satellite orbits, creating parabolic mirrors for telescopes, and modeling projectile motion. Translating conic sections allows us to manipulate and understand these shapes in a mathematical way, making it useful in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, and astronomy.