Find All Values of k for Equal Roots in x^2-kx+4=0

• Thread starter priscilla98
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots
In summary, the problem is to use the discriminant to determine all values of k that would result in the equation x^2 - kx + 4 = 0 having equal roots. The discriminant is k^2 - 16 and in order to have equal roots, it must be equal to 0. Therefore, the values of k that make this true are -4 and 4.
priscilla98

Homework Statement

Use the disciminant to determine all values of k that would result in the equation x^2 - kx + 4 = 0 having equal roots.

Homework Equations

x = -b +/- (square root) b^2 - 4ac and divide by 2a

or b^2 - 4ac

The Attempt at a Solution

a = 1
b = - 1
c = 4

I'm a little confused with this problem because instead of a number by b there's a k.

Physics news on Phys.org
priscilla98 said:

Homework Statement

Use the disciminant to determine all values of k that would result in the equation x^2 - kx + 4 = 0 having equal roots.

Homework Equations

x = -b +/- (square root) b^2 - 4ac and divide by 2a

or b^2 - 4ac

The Attempt at a Solution

a = 1
b = - 1
c = 4

I'm a little confused with this problem because instead of a number by b there's a k.
Which means b is NOT "-1", it is "-k". (That's the whole point of algebra isn't it- that numbers are represented by letters?) The discriminant is, as you say [itex]b^2- 4ac[/itex] which, here, is [itex](-k)^2- 4(1)(4)= k^2- 16[/math].

Now, in order to have equal roots, what must be true of the discriminant? What values of k make that true?

Thanks, i understand now. Therefore, you would have to factor k^2 - 16, (k +4)(k-4), thanks a lot

1. What is the formula for finding the values of k in x^2-kx+4=0?

The formula for finding the values of k in x^2-kx+4=0 is k = 4.

2. How do I determine if the roots of x^2-kx+4=0 are equal?

The roots of x^2-kx+4=0 are equal if the discriminant (b^2-4ac) is equal to zero.

3. Can there be more than one value of k that satisfies x^2-kx+4=0?

No, there can only be one value of k that satisfies x^2-kx+4=0 when the roots are equal.

4. What happens if the discriminant is not equal to zero?

If the discriminant is not equal to zero, then the roots will be unequal and there will not be a single value of k that satisfies x^2-kx+4=0.

5. How can I use this information in real-life situations?

This formula can be used in various situations, such as determining the minimum force needed to push a box along a surface without causing it to tip over, or finding the optimal amount of fertilizer to use for a given crop yield.