Algebra and Finding a Formula: Connecting N (or Size) with Difference

• Thread starter Lukeitfc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
Thanks Again!In summary, the conversation is about the difference between two expressions and the confusion around solving for a value or finding an equation that connects N (or Size) with the difference between N and Size. The first expression discussed is (X) x (X+21) and (X+1) x (X+20)=20, which simplifies to 20. The second expression is an equation that cannot be solved, but can be simplified or rewritten. The conversation ends with a request for clarification on the question and a summary of the conversation.
Lukeitfc
I know it's easy to all you people, but my first question is, is this right:

Difference between ( X) x (X+21) and (X+1) x (X+20)=20
=(x²+x+20x+20)-(x²+21x)
=(x²+21x+20)-(x²+21x)
=(21x+20)-21x
=20

I think it is, that's one point

Point 2
I just can't find an expression which connects N(or Size) with Difference

N Size Difference
1 2x2 40
2 3x3 160
3 4x4 240
4 5x5 640

Thanks In Advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure what you are asking about with the N difference... what exactly are you solving for?

I know it's easy to all you people, but my first question is, is this right:

Difference between ( X) x (X+21) and (X+1) x (X+20)=20
=(x²+x+20x+20)-(x²+21x)
=(x²+21x+20)-(x²+21x)
=(21x+20)-21x
=20

Well, the first one resolves to x^2 + 21x. It's an expression, not an equation, so it can't be "solved" per se - just simplified or rewritten.

The second is an equation - trite though it may sound, it has an "equals" sign. The left side of the second is clearly not equivalent to the first. Think of it like this: let x have a value, say 10. The first, then, would be the same as

(x)(x + 21) = 10 * 31 = 310

The second would be

(x + 1)(x + 20) = 11 * 30 = 330

Clearly not the same.

Does that answer your question? If not, could you be a little more specific? (Gee, I'm saying that a lot tonight...)

1. What is algebra and why is it important?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding and manipulating unknown quantities using symbols and equations. It is important because it helps us solve real-world problems and understand patterns and relationships between numbers and variables.

2. How do I find a formula for a given problem?

To find a formula, you need to first identify the variables involved in the problem and their relationships. Then, you can use algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to manipulate the variables and create an equation that represents the problem.

3. What is the difference between an expression and an equation?

An expression is a mathematical phrase that contains numbers, variables, and operations, while an equation is a statement that shows the equality between two expressions or quantities. In other words, an equation is a mathematical sentence that states that two expressions have the same value.

4. How do I solve an algebraic equation?

To solve an algebraic equation, you need to isolate the variable by using inverse operations. This means that whatever operation is being performed on the variable, you need to do the opposite operation on both sides of the equation to cancel it out. Keep solving until you have only the variable on one side and the solution on the other side.

5. Can algebra be used in everyday life?

Yes, algebra is used in many everyday tasks such as budgeting, calculating discounts, and figuring out the time it takes to complete a task. It is also used in fields such as engineering, science, and finance to solve complex problems and create models and predictions.