1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra books

1. Mar 10, 2008 #1
    I finished a course in Algebra last semester and I've decided that Algebra is the best math for me. I'd really like to know more. I studied Gallians book though I looked through Herstiens a bit as well. The problem is that my school doesn't have a second course in Algebra so I have to study on my own. What book would be a good one to start with. I'm not really concered about price too much. Also, if there is an answer key avaliable that would be helpful as I won't be able to go to profs for help.
    Thanks for any guidance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2008 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

artin, algebra is the best upper level undergrad book. and you should be ready for it after a first course.

it was written as a first course but is a bit condensed and slow going as an intro.

another classic is algebra, previously modern algebra, by van der waerden.

some people like dummitt and foote, which covers two years worth of algebra, but i prefer the insight of artin's book, although it covers less.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?