1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra Clarification Requested - The Fate of an Electron in a Uniform Electric Field

1. Jan 20, 2005 #1
    The electron, having been held at height h0, is now released from rest. Calculate its speed v when it reaches the top plate.

I found the initial energy to be:

-q_e*E*h_0

and the final energy to be:

1/2*m*v^2+-q_e*E*h_1

And I need to solve for v, so I set the two equal to each other as per the conservation of energy thereom and solve for v, correct?

-q_e*E*h_0 = 1/2*m*v^2+-q_e*E*h_1

My problem is isolating v and cancelling/clearing up variables. My algebra is lagging a bit, admittedly. Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pay attention with the signs...The skeleton of your equation is
    [tex] A=B+v^{2}C [/tex]

Isolate v^{2} and then take root of second order...

Daniel.

4. Jan 20, 2005 #3
    Thanks. I only get one shot at an answer (it's an online-based assignment), so I would appreciate any response saying if this is correct or not, and what I did wrong if it is incorrect:

[tex] sqrt((2(h_0-h_1))/(m))=v[/tex]

5. Jan 20, 2005 #4
    Can anyone else help me out please?

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  6. Jan 21, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Excellent,that was the idea,to get it,without too much help... :smile: Anyways,i was asleep... :tongue2:

Daniel.

P.S.I didn't dream of your exercise... :tongue2:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?