1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra, desperate

1. Feb 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    6+X = 3+(X/2)

2. Relevant equations
    Quadratic formula?

3. The attempt at a solution
    2(6+X) = 3+X

12+2X = 3+X

12+2X = X(3+X)

12+2X = 3X-X^2

when putting it in the quadratic formula, I don't get the right answers.
    the answer should be X1= 2 X2= -6
    what have I done wrong? :(
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2008 #2
    You're messing up your operations. Go back to the first line in your attempt. The RHS is 3 + x/2 NOT (3 + x)/2

Try again
  4. Feb 7, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Starting with (X+6)/X=3+X/2, if you multiply both sides by 2 you get (2X+12)/X=6+X. Note the 6 instead of a 3. 3+X/2 is not the same as (3+X)/2.
  5. Feb 7, 2008 #4
    I haven't followed the whole thing through. But it looks like your first move is to multiply both sides by 2 and you got the wrong answer on the right side of the equation.

You wouldn't get 3+X, you'd get 2(3+X/2).

For the first step, you need to make a common denominator (2) on the right side before you multiply both sides by two. Does that make sense?

Or, do it Dick's way.
  6. Feb 7, 2008 #5
    Thank you very much!!! I got the right answer now. Am I supposed to grade the help I got? If so, how?

I'll probably have some more questions tonight... can I just post it in here or should I create a new thread?
  7. Feb 7, 2008 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Grades? Grade US? We don't need no steenking grades! :) If it's a new question start a new thread, old long threads tend to get overlooked.
  8. Feb 7, 2008 #7
    Oh, thought you were supposed to grade it as in some swedish forums :D.
    Well, thank you again!
  9. Feb 7, 2008 #8
    If you want, give out ATTABOYs. When posters get 20 ATTABOYs, it cancels out one MY BAD!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?