Solving Algebra Homework: 6+X = 3+(X/2)

In summary, the conversation discusses an attempt at solving the equation 6+X = 3+(X/2) and the mistake made in the first step of the solution. The correct first step is to make a common denominator of 2 on the right side before multiplying both sides by 2. The conversation also mentions the possibility of giving out "ATTABOYs" for helpful responses on the forum.
Saturnfirefly

Homework Statement

6+X = 3+(X/2)
----
X

Homework Equations

Quadratic formula?

The Attempt at a Solution

2(6+X) = 3+X
------
X

12+2X = 3+X
------
X

12+2X = X(3+X)

12+2X = 3X-X^2

so,

X^2+X-12

when putting it in the quadratic formula, I don't get the right answers.
the answer should be X1= 2 X2= -6
what have I done wrong? :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're messing up your operations. Go back to the first line in your attempt. The RHS is 3 + x/2 NOT (3 + x)/2

Try again

Starting with (X+6)/X=3+X/2, if you multiply both sides by 2 you get (2X+12)/X=6+X. Note the 6 instead of a 3. 3+X/2 is not the same as (3+X)/2.

I haven't followed the whole thing through. But it looks like your first move is to multiply both sides by 2 and you got the wrong answer on the right side of the equation.

You wouldn't get 3+X, you'd get 2(3+X/2).

For the first step, you need to make a common denominator (2) on the right side before you multiply both sides by two. Does that make sense?

Or, do it Dick's way.

Thank you very much! I got the right answer now. Am I supposed to grade the help I got? If so, how?

I'll probably have some more questions tonight... can I just post it in here or should I create a new thread?

Grades? Grade US? We don't need no steenking grades! :) If it's a new question start a new thread, old long threads tend to get overlooked.

Oh, thought you were supposed to grade it as in some swedish forums :D.
Well, thank you again!

If you want, give out ATTABOYs. When posters get 20 ATTABOYs, it cancels out one MY BAD!

1. What does the equation 6+X = 3+(X/2) mean?

The equation 6+X = 3+(X/2) is a mathematical expression that represents a relationship between two unknown numbers, X and a fraction of X. It is called an algebraic equation because it contains variables (X) and arithmetic operations (+ and /) that need to be solved to find the value of X.

2. How do I solve this algebraic equation?

To solve this equation, you need to use algebraic principles and rules to isolate the variable (X) on one side of the equation. This can be done by performing the same operation on both sides of the equation, such as adding or subtracting, multiplying or dividing. The goal is to get X alone on one side of the equation, and the solution will be the number that makes the equation true.

3. What are the steps for solving this algebraic equation?

The steps for solving this algebraic equation are:1. Simplify each side of the equation by combining like terms.2. Use inverse operations to move the terms with variables to one side of the equation.3. Use the distributive property to remove parentheses if necessary.4. Combine like terms again.5. Use inverse operations to isolate the variable on one side of the equation.6. Check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

4. Can I solve this equation using a calculator?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve this equation. However, it is important to understand the steps and principles behind solving algebraic equations in order to use the calculator effectively. Also, make sure to check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

5. Are there any tips for solving algebraic equations like this?

Yes, here are some tips for solving algebraic equations:1. Remember the order of operations (PEMDAS) when simplifying expressions.2. Always perform the same operation on both sides of the equation to maintain balance.3. Be careful with negative signs and pay attention to signs when combining like terms.4. If you get a solution that doesn't make sense (e.g. a negative number under a square root), double check your steps.5. Practice, practice, practice! The more you solve equations, the easier it will become.