1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra equation question

1. Sep 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Start with 4 pails of water. Each trip, you gain 2 pails of water. What equation represents number of pails over time

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    y = 2x + 4 should be the correct answer.

But my options are
    y=4x + 2
    y=x/4 + 2
    y=x/2 + 4
    y=3x + 3

Why is it not 2x + 4?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2013 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

The only option consistent with starting with 4 pails is y = x/2 + 4, which makes sense only if a trip takes 4 units of time and x represents elapsed time rather than number of trips. I would suggest rereading the question to see if you've missed something along those lines.

4. Sep 8, 2013 #3
    Here is the word for word question, the only information we get...

Jack and Jill had 4 pails of water. Each trip up the hill, jack and jill obtain 2 more buckets of water. Which equation represent pails over time?
    Perhaps a type, because I noticed another type later in the homework as well.

5. Sep 8, 2013 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

I agree that [itex]2x + 4[/itex] is the only sensible answer, so the question must be wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted