What is the correct equation for pails over time in this algebra problem?

• Thread starter Chas3down
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary: It should probably be "Which equation represents the number of pails over the number of trips?" or something similar.
Chas3down

Homework Statement

Start with 4 pails of water. Each trip, you gain 2 pails of water. What equation represents number of pails over time

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

y = 2x + 4 should be the correct answer.

But my options are
y=4x + 2
y=x/4 + 2
y=x/2 + 4
y=3x + 3

Why is it not 2x + 4?

Physics news on Phys.org
Chas3down said:

Homework Statement

Start with 4 pails of water. Each trip, you gain 2 pails of water. What equation represents number of pails over time

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

y = 2x + 4 should be the correct answer.

But my options are
y=4x + 2
y=x/4 + 2
y=x/2 + 4
y=3x + 3

Why is it not 2x + 4?

The only option consistent with starting with 4 pails is y = x/2 + 4, which makes sense only if a trip takes 4 units of time and x represents elapsed time rather than number of trips. I would suggest rereading the question to see if you've missed something along those lines.

pasmith said:
The only option consistent with starting with 4 pails is y = x/2 + 4, which makes sense only if a trip takes 4 units of time and x represents elapsed time rather than number of trips. I would suggest rereading the question to see if you've missed something along those lines.

Here is the word for word question, the only information we get...

Jack and Jill had 4 pails of water. Each trip up the hill, jack and jill obtain 2 more buckets of water. Which equation represent pails over time?
Perhaps a type, because I noticed another type later in the homework as well.

Chas3down said:
Here is the word for word question, the only information we get...

Jack and Jill had 4 pails of water. Each trip up the hill, jack and jill obtain 2 more buckets of water. Which equation represent pails over time?

I agree that [itex]2x + 4[/itex] is the only sensible answer, so the question must be wrong.

What is an algebra equation?

An algebra equation is a mathematical statement that uses symbols and numbers to represent relationships between quantities. It typically consists of an expression on one side and an equal sign followed by another expression on the other side.

What is the purpose of solving algebra equations?

The purpose of solving algebra equations is to find the value of the unknown variable(s) in the equation. This allows us to solve real-world problems, make predictions, and better understand mathematical concepts.

What are the basic rules of solving algebra equations?

The basic rules of solving algebra equations include performing the same operation on both sides of the equation to isolate the variable, using the inverse operation to cancel out terms, and simplifying the equation by combining like terms.

What are the common types of algebra equations?

The common types of algebra equations include linear equations, quadratic equations, systems of equations, and exponential equations. Each type has its own unique characteristics and methods for solving.

How can I check if my solution to an algebra equation is correct?

You can check if your solution to an algebra equation is correct by substituting the value of the variable back into the original equation and simplifying both sides. If the resulting values are equal, then your solution is correct.