1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra equation-Solvable?

1. Mar 17, 2004 #1

dav2008

Gold Member

This is part of an optimization problem, and I'm finding the zeros of the first derivative which is f'(x) = (7-x)/x - ln(x)

Is there any way to solve this for an exact answer? I've tried and there doesn't seem to be a way. Is it even possible to solve for an exact answer?

0=(7-x)/x - ln(x)

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The only "exact" solution for an equation that involves x both in and outside a logarithm involves Lambert's W function (which is defined as the inverse to f(x)= xex). Other than that you would need to use numerical methods.

Do you have any reason to think there should be an "exact" solution?
    What was the orginal function to be optimised?

(7-x)/x - ln(x) is, of course, the derivative of (7-x)ln(x). Was that your function?

4. Mar 18, 2004 #3

dav2008

Gold Member

Yeah it was (7-x)ln(x). It could have also been (7-ey)(y) but eventually it is pretty much the same thing.

The only reason I'm looking for an exact answer is because the homework assignment asks for one. I was just making sure that it really wasn't possible. Tx.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?