Solving Algebra Equation: 3y + (y*Pie)/2 = 62

• Thread starter Stilts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for help with an algebraic equation for their design project. They have simplified the equation to 3y + (y*Pie)/2 = 62 but are struggling with rearranging the equation to solve for y. They receive help and the final answer for y is approximately 13.56. They also discuss using LaTeX for mathematical symbols and the final solution for x is 21.31. The conversation ends with the person thanking the other for their help and expressing excitement to start building.
Stilts
Hi, I've got this equation I need to figure out for my design project. It's been a few years since I did algebra and I just can't remember the next steps.

I've simplified to:

3y + (y*Pie)/2 = 62

but I can't figure out how to move everything around to get y.

Thanks to anyone who can help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Stilts,
if ay+by=c, where a,b,c are constants, can you figure out how to solve for y? It's not that hard.
Try taking 'y' common

So you've got [itex]3y + \frac{\pi }{2}y = 62[/itex]. Now factor out y in the lhs and divide both sides by its coefficient you get.

How do you get the symbol graphics TD?

So:

3y + (y*Pie)/2 = 62
3y + (Pie/2)y = 62
3 + Pie/2 = 62/y
62 / (Pie/2 + 3) = y
13.56 = y

My whole equation originally was:
3y + x = 62, with x = (y*Pie)/2
Making:
(y*Pie)/2 = x
(13.56*Pie)/2 = x
42.61 = x

However I've definitely done something wrong:

3y + x = 62
3(13.56) + 42.61 62

Thanks for the help so far.

Stilts said:
How do you get the symbol graphics TD?
It's LaTeX, click on it to see the code and check the first forum for information.

Stilts said:
3y + (y*Pie)/2 = 62
3y + (Pie/2)y = 62
3 + Pie/2 = 62/y
62 / (Pie/2 + 3) = y
13.56 = y
This is correct, but I'd leave an exact answer, 13.56 is an approximation.

[tex]y = \frac{{124}}{{\pi + 6}} \approx 13.56[/tex]

Stilts said:
Making:
(y*Pie)/2 = x
(13.56*Pie)/2 = x
42.61 = x
It isn't 42.61, recheck that calculation.

Yeah I wasn't using the approximations for calculating, just shortening for the forum.

TD said:
It isn't 42.61, recheck that calculation.
Argh I had the right answer written down then lost it. x = 21.31.

Thanks heaps for the help dude, now it's time to get building. :biggrin:

You're welcome, good luck :smile:

What is the first step in solving this algebra equation?

The first step in solving this algebra equation is to combine like terms. In this case, we can combine 3y and (y*pie)/2 by multiplying the coefficients and adding the exponents of y. This gives us 5y/2.

How do we get rid of the fraction in this equation?

To get rid of the fraction, we can multiply both sides of the equation by the denominator of the fraction, which in this case is 2. This will cancel out the fraction on the left side and give us 5y = 124.

What is the next step after combining like terms and getting rid of the fraction?

The next step is to isolate the variable, y, by dividing both sides of the equation by the coefficient of y, which is 5. This will give us the solution, y = 124/5 = 24.8.

How do we check our solution?

We can check our solution by substituting it back into the original equation and solving for y. In this case, we would have 3(24.8) + (24.8*pie)/2 = 62. By using a calculator, we can see that this equation is true, which means our solution is correct.

Can we solve this equation using different methods?

Yes, there are multiple methods for solving algebra equations, such as substitution, elimination, and graphing. In this case, we used the method of combining like terms, getting rid of the fraction, and isolating the variable. However, other methods may be more efficient depending on the type and complexity of the equation.