Algebra for Homology: A Resource Guide

• Thread starter homology
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation discussed the use of factoring a map through another space in the context of algebraic topology. The speaker was looking for a good reference for this technique and also asked if there were any books specifically on "algebra for algebraic topology" that focused on topics such as direct sums, factoring, gradings, tensors, etc. They mentioned wanting to avoid category theory for now. A suggested resource was the book "The Little Algebraic Topology Book" by Artin and Braun or any of the free algebra books available online.
homology
Hello all,

So I'm working through Vick's Homology and have just finished up chapter one except that I have become aware of some holes in my algebra. Vick used and is beginning to use the idea of factoring a map through another space. While I can see the contextual meaning of the technique in the context of the problem, I'm not familiar with the technique in general.
So first, what's a good reference for that, and secondly, is there a book about "algebra for algebraic topology" you know, lots of direct sums, factoring, gradings, tensors, etc. It need not play with category theory. In fact I'd like to avoid the category stuff for a bit longer (trying to focus on the topology end of things for the moment).

As always thank you for any input,

kevin

Physics news on Phys.org
try the little alg top book by artin and braun, which is mroe complete in algebraic background.or any of the free algebra books on the web on modules.

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for sharing your experience and question about algebra for homology. It sounds like you are making good progress in your studies, but have encountered a gap in your understanding of algebraic techniques. This is a common experience and it's great that you are seeking out resources to fill in those gaps.

One book that I have found helpful for learning about algebraic techniques in the context of algebraic topology is "Algebraic Topology" by Allen Hatcher. This book covers a wide range of topics in algebraic topology, including direct sums, gradings, and tensors, without relying heavily on category theory. It also has many examples and exercises to help solidify your understanding.

Another book that may be useful is "Algebraic Topology" by James Munkres. This book also covers many algebraic techniques used in topology, with a focus on applications to surfaces and manifolds. It may be a good supplement to Vick's Homology.

In addition to these books, there are also many online resources available for learning about algebraic techniques in topology. Some helpful websites include the nLab (https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/HomePage), which has a section on algebraic topology, and the Topology Atlas (https://topology.jdabbs.com/), which has a section on algebraic topology with links to lectures and notes.

I hope these resources will be helpful to you as you continue to study algebra for homology. Good luck on your journey!

1. What is Algebra for Homology?

Algebra for Homology is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures in relation to homology theory, which is a mathematical tool for understanding the topological properties of spaces. It uses algebraic techniques to analyze topological spaces and their properties.

2. What is the purpose of "Algebra for Homology: A Resource Guide"?

The purpose of "Algebra for Homology: A Resource Guide" is to provide a comprehensive and accessible resource for those interested in learning about algebraic methods in homology theory. It includes definitions, examples, and exercises to help readers understand the concepts and apply them to their own research or studies.

3. Who can benefit from "Algebra for Homology: A Resource Guide"?

This resource guide is suitable for mathematicians, researchers, and students who have a basic understanding of algebra and topology and are interested in learning about the algebraic methods used in homology theory. It can also be a helpful tool for those looking to refresh their knowledge of algebraic techniques in homology.

4. What are some common algebraic structures used in homology theory?

Some common algebraic structures used in homology theory are groups, rings, modules, and chain complexes. These structures allow for the manipulation and analysis of topological spaces and their properties to better understand their underlying algebraic structures.

5. How can "Algebra for Homology: A Resource Guide" be used in research or studies?

"Algebra for Homology: A Resource Guide" can be used as a reference for understanding the basic concepts and techniques used in algebra for homology. It can also be used as a guide for creating and solving new problems related to homology theory, making it a useful tool for researchers and students alike.