1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra fraction check

1. Oct 28, 2012 #1
    I would just like someone to check my math on this, because I am not sure that I am doin it the right way. I will show step by step.

Put over common denominator: [itex] \frac{1}{x} + \frac{x}{x+y} + \frac{y}{x-y} [/itex]

1. common denominator: [itex] \frac{x^2-y^2}{x(x^2-y^2)} + \frac{x*x(x-y)}{x(x^2-y^2)}+\frac{y*x(x+y)}{x(x^2-y^2)}[/itex]

2. adding fractions: [itex]x^2-y^2 + x^2(x-y)+xy(x+y) \rightarrow x^2-y^2 + x^3-x^2y+x^2y+xy^2 \rightarrow x^3+x^2-y^2+xy^2[/itex]

The part I am confused with is that, I have to do the multiplication before I expand the brackets, now I thought you always expand the brackets first. This is why I think I have done the wrong method to get the right answer. Can someone set me right, if i have gone wrong somewhere. Big thanks in advanced.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2012 #2

MarneMath

Education Advisor

I'm just confused, this looks right, but what do you mean by expanding the brackets? I don't see anything you have to expand.

4. Oct 28, 2012 #3
    I think I have confused myself a bit, but looking over what I have done I see where I thought I had got confuse, just ignore this post, I apologize for the inconvenience of this post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook