1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra help for physics

1. Oct 3, 2006 #1
    Hey guys, I'm having an algebra blank, can't figure this out for some reason, I know it simple. aHH!. Ok.. heres the question.

I'm trying to isolate d truck, ie, trying to solve for dtruck from the following.

Dtruck = Dtruck + 100m
    75km/hr 88km/hr

I think you multiply 75km/hr to the right side, but there are 2 Dtrucks, and i forget how to manipulate that. Once again, I want only Dtruck on the left side.. so Dtruck = xxxxxx. Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I assume this is meant to be two fractions equal to each other? If so, just cross multipy:
    [tex]\frac{A}{B} = \frac{C}{D}[/tex]
    becomes:
    [tex]A \times D = B \times C[/tex]

Once you do that, multiply everything out and isolate Dtruck.

4. Oct 3, 2006 #3
    thanks.. but still not totally getting it don't think. If i do that.. I get this right?

(dtruck)(88km/hr) = (dtruck + 110m)(75km/hr)

(dtruck)(88km/hr) = (dtruck)(75km/hr) + (110m)(75km/hr)

Now i'm stuck again.. i feel stupid. I know I should be able to islolate dtruck, but how.

5. Oct 3, 2006 #4

Doc Al

Subtract (dtruck)(75km/hr) from each side.

6. Oct 3, 2006 #5
    but wouldn't that take away the dtruck that i want?

(dtruck)(88km/hr) - (dtruck)(75km/hr)

wouldn't that take away the dtruck?.. and just leave 10km/hr. That can't be right.

7. Oct 3, 2006 #6

Doc Al

Nope. Consider this: aX - bX = (a - b)X

8. Oct 3, 2006 #7
    Doc, you are a genius. One of a kind. Thank you.. i really appreciate it. I should have already known that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?