Solving Algebra Problem: a = SQRT(b/x)-cx

• Thread starter beeresearch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving a third degree polynomial and finding the roots using various methods such as back substitution, Newton's method, and the solution formulae for polynomials of up to fourth order. However, it is noted that no general solution formula exists for polynomials of order 5 or higher, as proven by the Abel-Ruffini Theorem. The conversation also mentions the work of mathematicians such as Gerolamo Cardano, Paulo Ruffini, Niels Abel, and Evariste Galois in solving and understanding polynomials of different degrees.
beeresearch
Hi Guys,

My algebra is a little rusty, and I have become stuck with this problem, would anyone mind showing me the right path..

The problem is..

a = SQRT(b/x)-cx

And I need to solve for x

Thanks in advance..

Steven

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Adding cx to both sides and squaring gives a^2 +2acx + c^2*x^2 = b/x. Multiplying by x and subtracting by b gives c^2*x^3 - 2acx^2 +a^2*x - b = 0. Now you just have to find a root for this third degree polynomial.

Gear300 said:
Now you just have to find a root for this third degree polynomial.

That's the hard part =(

Steven

For a polynomial ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = 0, the roots may be given by these:
http://www.josechu.com/ecuaciones_polinomicas/cubica_solucion.htm
It might be simpler to use Newton's method to come up with an expression that is approximately close. Even still, there is most likely a simpler way...I just can't see it right off the back.

Last edited:
Gear300 said:
c^2*x^3 - 2acx^2 +a^2*x - b = 0

shouldn't that be:

+ 2acx^2

Gear300 said:
For a polynomial ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = 0, the roots may be given by these:
http://www.josechu.com/ecuaciones_polinomicas/cubica_solucion.htm
It might be simpler to use Newton's method to come up with an expression that is approximately close. Even still, there is most likely a simpler way...I just can't see it right off the back.

Hey I never knew that there was an exact expression for the roots of a cubic polynomial . I infact never thought of a method apart from trying the factor theorem ( or using numerical technique) .

How was it show that this is the solution ( I mean apart from back substitution) ?
I thought it was in fact impossible to find the roots for a general polynomial equation of order > 2.

Solution formulae for polynomials of up to fourth order were known by mid-sixteenth century. I believe Gerolamo Cardano compiled them all in his Ars Magna of 1545. See

http://www-math.cudenver.edu/~wcherowi/courses/m4010/polynom2.pdf

for some background of how this all came about.

Solution formulae for higher order polynomials were sought thereafter, until things came to a head in the early 19th century. In particular Paulo Ruffini, Niels Abel, and Evariste Galois separatelly discovered (and proved to varying degrees, Galois being the deepest) that no general solution formulae exist for polynomials of order 5 or higher. This is not say one cannot solve any particular such polynomial (and many can be) but rather that there does not exist a formulae that works on all polynomials of a certain degree (> 4).

The theorem in particular that states the impossibility of finding such a formula is called the Abel-Ruffini Theorem. Ruffini's first attempt at the proof in 1799 was slightly flawed, but Abel fixed it not long after. His proof suffered from exploring unknown territory and was consequently clunky and arcane. Galois developed a rich and powerful body of theory to clearly attack this particular puzzle. Galois' work has lead to the development of the body of theory named after him (he died at the age of 20 in 1832 from a gunshot wound suffered in a pistol duel).

Wolfram's Mathworld Links

Cubic Formula

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CubicFormula.html

Quartic Equation

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/QuarticEquation.html

--Elucidus

Last edited by a moderator:
How about using a conjugate? I once saw a poster for the roots of a 5th (quintic) degree. That guy had a lot of extra time.

Thank You very much Elucidus for the PDF link ... the steps involved seem very simple and clear (for the cubic equation ) ... but who would have thought to do those steps in that way ... not me anyway !

1. What is the purpose of solving this algebra problem?

The purpose of solving this algebra problem is to find the value of the variable "a" in terms of the other variables, "b", "x", and "c". This can help in solving real-world problems involving these variables.

2. How can I simplify the expression SQRT(b/x)?

To simplify the expression SQRT(b/x), you can rewrite it as SQRT(b)/SQRT(x). This is because the square root operation can be distributed over division.

3. What is the difference between solving algebra problems with and without variables?

Solving algebra problems with variables involves finding the value of the unknown variable, while solving problems without variables involves finding the value of the expression in terms of the given values.

4. Can I solve this problem using a calculator?

Yes, you can solve this problem using a calculator. Just make sure to input the correct values and use the correct order of operations to get an accurate result.

5. Are there any rules or formulas that can help me solve this problem?

Yes, there are some rules and formulas that can help you solve this problem. One of them is the rule of exponents, where the square root of a number raised to a power is equal to the number raised to half of that power.