1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra Help

1. Mar 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

mgh=1/2mv^2+1/2mr^2(v/r)^2

I need to solve for v, I'm really stuck on Algebra can anyone show me the steps I'd take to solve for V?

Thanks

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Tried thinking it through but i'm getting stuck :( :(

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2009 #2
    Here's a hint:

[tex](\frac{v}{r})^2 = \frac{v^2}{r^2}[/tex]

also, if the variable m on the left hand side of the equation is the exact same m as on the right side, you can divide both sides by m to get rid of it.

4. Mar 16, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the help i'll try it, anyone know of resources that help you learn Algebra like this, it's really confusing to me.

Thanks

5. Mar 16, 2009 #4
  6. Mar 16, 2009 #5
    Cool thank you, And does anyone know a good site to learn Physics it's all going over my head in class.

7. Mar 16, 2009 #6
    google.

8. Mar 16, 2009 #7
    Sorry to bash on Physics websites but so far every Physics site i've found has had terrible design, poor teaching and organization. (similar to my teaching) With the exception of this site. (Best Physics Site i've found). I've found great resources for learning on every other subject through Google except for Physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook