Understanding Algebra: Step-by-Step Guide from vout to vcm and vd

• Thread starter simpComp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation discusses steps in a mathematical problem and the process of going from step 1 to step 2, with a request for a step-by-step illustration. The process involves factoring and rearranging equations using new variables. The asker eventually understands the solution and thanks the person helping them.
simpComp
Can someone show some mathematical steps on how we go from step 1 to step 2 please.

Step#1
vout = (vcm + vd/2)(Ro/Rb + Ro) (1+Rf/Ra)- (vcm - vd/2)(Rf/Ra)

Step#2
vout = vcm [(Ro/Rb + Ro) (1+ Rf/Ra) -(Rf/Ra)] + vd(1/2) [(Ro/Rb + Ro) (1+ Rf/Ra) + (Rf/Ra)]

thank you in advance!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
simpComp said:
Can someone show some mathematical steps on how we go from step 1 to step 2 please.

Step#1
vout = (vcm + vd/2)(Ro/Rb + Ro) (1+Rf/Ra)- (vcm - vd/2)(Rf/Ra)

Step#2
vout = vcm [(Ro/Rb + Ro) (1+ Rf/Ra) -(Rf/Ra)] + vd(1/2) [(Ro/Rb + Ro) (1+ Rf/Ra) + (Rf/Ra)]

thank you in advance!

Is this what you wrote?

[itex]v_{out}=(v_{cm}+\frac{v_d}{2})(\frac{R_0}{R_b}+R_0)(1+\frac{R_f}{R_a})-(v_{cm}-\frac{v_d}{2})(\frac{R_f}{R_a})[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow v_{out}=v_{cm}[(\frac{R_0}{R_b}+R_0)(1+\frac{R_f}{R_a})-\frac{R_f}{R_a}]+\frac{v_d}{2}[(\frac{R_0}{R_b}+R_0)(1+\frac{R_f}{R_a})+\frac{R_f}{R_a}][/itex]

If so, you should write it out and do it yourself. It is just two uses of the distributive property and then a slight rearrangement and the distributive property again (but backwards). When all is said and done, it should be no more than 6 lines (probably less, but it depends on your brain's current math RAM). Or maybe I misread what you wrote and it is completely different.

"If so, you should write it out and do it yourself. "

thanks

Last edited:
Are you able to figure it out, or you need some help with that?

simpComp said:
"If so, you should write it out and do it yourself. "

thanks

I checked out your other posts and there is nothing here that you weren't able to figure out before. I also outlined the steps. I apologize if you find that to be a rude statement, there is no point in people feeding you answers. Sorry if that is what you wanted.

Hello Electric Red,

I am totally baffled and don't even know where
to start... I attempted to get vcm out of the brackets like so:

vcm(1+vd/2) and vcm(1-vd/2)

but then don't know where to go from there. I tried going further by dividing vcm on both sides but I have to be honest here ... I am totally lost... I tried looking up some math tutorials but could not relate them to a resolution in respect to my problem.

A step by step illustration would surely help getting me started and would really be appreciated.

Thanks with sincere regards

simpComp said:
Hello Electric Red,

That is not correct. From that you just wrote ##v_{cm}(1+\frac{v_d}{2})=(v_{cm}+\frac{v_{cm}v_d}{2})## which does not appear anywhere. As I said earlier, but more explicitly now, distribute over the first and fourth parentheses and then rearrange to isolate ##v_{cm}## and ##v_d##.

It might be easier if you define new variables for yourself. Let
##A=(\frac{R_0}{R_b}+R_0)## and
##B=(1+\frac{R_f}{R_a})##

simpComp said:
Hello Electric Red,

Neither of these is correct, so I can see why you're having some problems.

If you factor vcm out of vcm + vd/2, you don't get vcm(1 + vd/2). As a check, expanding the last result here gives vcm + vcmvd/2), which isn't what you started with.
simpComp said:
but then don't know where to go from there. I tried going further by dividing vcm on both sides
This is not valid either. You don't really have "both sides." All you are doing is simplifying an expression, so you are very limited in what you can do, unlike when you have an equation to work with.
simpComp said:
but I have to be honest here ... I am totally lost... I tried looking up some math tutorials but could not relate them to a resolution in respect to my problem.

A step by step illustration would surely help getting me started and would really be appreciated.

Thanks with sincere regards

Try looking at it like this.

##v_{out}=(v_{cm}+\frac{v_d}{2})(\frac{R_0}{R_b}+R_0)(1+\frac{R_f}{R_a})-(v_{cm}-\frac{v_d}{2})(\frac{R_f}{R_a})##

is the same as

##v_{out}=(v_{cm}+\frac{v_d}{2})A-(v_{cm}-\frac{v_d}{2})B##

where

##A=(\frac{R_0}{R_b}+R_0)(1+\frac{R_f}{R_a})##
and
##B=\frac{R_f}{R_a}##

With these new definitions (not the ones I made before), you are trying to show that

##v_{out}=(v_{cm}+\frac{v_d}{2})A-(v_{cm}-\frac{v_d}{2})B=v_{cm}[A-B]+\frac{v_d}{2}[A+B]##

Likes 1 person
Hello DrewD,

totally swamped here... I will get back as soon as I have a bit of free time...
Thanks

Ahhh!

The light from the sun hit my head!

I see it now...

thanks DrewD

1. What is Algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with operations and relationships involving letters and symbols representing numbers. It is used to solve equations, find unknown quantities, and describe patterns and relationships between variables.

2. Why is Algebra important?

Algebra is important because it provides a foundation for more advanced math concepts and real-world applications. It helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and is used in various fields such as science, engineering, economics, and finance.

3. How do I solve an algebraic equation?

To solve an algebraic equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation by performing the same operation on both sides. This can include addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division. The goal is to get the variable by itself on one side and the constant on the other side.

4. What are the different types of algebraic expressions?

There are three main types of algebraic expressions: monomials, binomials, and polynomials. Monomials have one term, binomials have two terms, and polynomials have multiple terms. These expressions can also be classified as constants, variables, or coefficients.

5. How can I improve my algebra skills?

To improve your algebra skills, it is important to first understand the basic concepts and rules. Practice solving different types of equations and problems, and seek help from a tutor or online resources if needed. It is also helpful to relate algebra to real-life situations to better understand its applications.