1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra homework help

1. Feb 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If I know [tex]Fs^2 = 6*10^{-8}[/tex], and [tex]\frac{F}{V^2} = 10^{-9}[/tex], how can I figure out [tex]\frac{Fs^2}{V^2}[/tex]? F, s, V are all real numbers.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]Fs^2 = 6*10^{-8}[/tex] (equation 1)
    [tex]\frac{F}{V^2} = 10^{-9}[/tex], (equation 2)
    [tex]\frac{Fs^2}{V^2}[/tex]
    3. The attempt at a solution

I tried dividing equation 1 by equation 2 and vice versa...and mutiplied them...but the best thing I can get is [tex]\frac{F^2s^2}{V^2}[/tex]...:cry: :confused:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you want to find out? In your first line you say you want "Fs2/V2," whereas in the last line you say the best you can get is Fs2/V2. Is this not what you want?

4. Feb 4, 2007 #3
    oh right, sorry. I had a typo...the best I got was [tex]\frac{F^2s^2}{V^2}[/tex]. Lemme correct that.

5. Feb 4, 2007 #4
    You have two equations. The first is

[tex]Fs^2 = 6\times 10^8[/tex]

while the second is

[tex]\frac{F}{V^2} = 10^{-9}[/tex]

Rearranging the second equation gives you

[tex]\frac{1}{V^2} = \frac{1}{F\times10^{-9}}[/tex]

If you now multiply your first equation by this you obtain

[tex]\frac{Fs^2}{V^2} = \frac{6\times 10^8}{F\times10^{-9}}
    = \frac{6\times10^{17}}{F}[/tex]

There's a certain redundancy here. Multiplying both sides by [itex]F[/itex] gives you

[tex]\left(\frac{Fs}{V}\right)^2 = 6\times 10^{17}[/tex]

Is this not what you want?

6. Feb 4, 2007 #5
    Hmmm not quite :\ [tex]\left(\frac{Fs}{V}\right)^2 = 6\times 10^{17}[/tex] is the same as [tex]\frac{F^2s^2}{V^2}[/tex]...which was what I got before...I wanna get [tex]\frac{Fs^2}{V^2}[/tex]...but I don't know if that's actually possible. Anyway, thanks a bunch for the help! :)

7. Feb 4, 2007 #6
    Going to the root of the problem, I am actually working on my lab report. I need to determine the value of the permittivity of free space from my experiment...and from my results I plotted F with [tex]V^2[/tex] and I got a linear relationship between them with a slope of 10^-9...which is the number I had up there [tex]\frac{F}{V^2} = 10^{-9}[/tex]. Then I plotted F with [tex]\frac{1}{s^2}[/tex] and I got another relationship...with a slope of [tex]Fs^2 = 6*10^{-8}[/tex].

My experiment is to deduce the permittivity of free space so I can eventually deduce the speed of light.

F is the attractive force between two parallel plates (capacitor). A is the area of the plate. s is the distance between the plates. V is the voltage between them. My formula I'm dealing with is [tex] F=\frac{e_{0}AV^2}{2s^2}[/tex]

The lab requires me to find the "best" value of [tex]\frac{Fs^2}{V^2}[/tex] ...which is where I was stuck at from the beginning. :\

From then on, once I get [tex]\frac{Fs^2}{V^2}[/tex], find the permittivity of free space and eventually the speed of light.
    Thanks again for the time and effort! :)

8. Feb 5, 2007 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You simply don't have enough information. If you could find [tex]\frac{Fs^2}{V^2}[/tex], since you already know [itex]Fs^2[/itex], you could divide the second by the first to find V then use [itex]\frac{F}{V^2}[/itex] to find F and finally solve for s. You can't expect to be able to solve 2 equations for 3 values.

9. Feb 5, 2007 #8
    Hmmm...ok...I'll have to check my values again. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?