Algebra Homework Help: Solving Equations with Fs^2, F/V^2, and Real Numbers

In summary, you are trying to solve for \frac{Fs^2}{V^2} from two equations. One is Fs^2 = 6*10^{-8}while the second is \frac{F}{V^2} = 10^{-9}You can rearrange the second equation to get\frac{1}{V^2} = \frac{1}{F\times10^{-9}}If you multiply your first equation by this, you get \frac{Fs^2}{V^2} = \frac{6*10^{17}}{F}
Odyssey

Homework Statement

If I know [tex]Fs^2 = 6*10^{-8}[/tex], and [tex]\frac{F}{V^2} = 10^{-9}[/tex], how can I figure out [tex]\frac{Fs^2}{V^2}[/tex]? F, s, V are all real numbers.

Homework Equations

[tex]Fs^2 = 6*10^{-8}[/tex] (equation 1)
[tex]\frac{F}{V^2} = 10^{-9}[/tex], (equation 2)
[tex]\frac{Fs^2}{V^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried dividing equation 1 by equation 2 and vice versa...and mutiplied them...but the best thing I can get is [tex]\frac{F^2s^2}{V^2}[/tex]...:cry: :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Odyssey said:

Homework Statement

If I know [tex]Fs^2 = 6*10^{-8}[/tex], and [tex]\frac{F}{V^2} = 10^{-9}[/tex], how can I figure out [tex]\frac{Fs^2}{V^2}[/tex]? F, s, V are all real numbers.

Homework Equations

[tex]Fs^2 = 6*10^{-8}[/tex] (equation 1)
[tex]\frac{F}{V^2} = 10^{-9}[/tex], (equation 2)
[tex]\frac{Fs^2}{V^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried dividing equation 1 by equation 2 and vice versa...and mutiplied them...but the best thing I can get is [tex]\frac{Fs^2}{V^2}[/tex]...:cry: :confused:

What do you want to find out? In your first line you say you want "Fs2/V2," whereas in the last line you say the best you can get is Fs2/V2. Is this not what you want?

oh right, sorry. I had a typo...the best I got was [tex]\frac{F^2s^2}{V^2}[/tex]. Lemme correct that.

You have two equations. The first is

[tex]Fs^2 = 6\times 10^8[/tex]

while the second is

[tex]\frac{F}{V^2} = 10^{-9}[/tex]

Rearranging the second equation gives you

[tex]\frac{1}{V^2} = \frac{1}{F\times10^{-9}}[/tex]

If you now multiply your first equation by this you obtain

[tex]\frac{Fs^2}{V^2} = \frac{6\times 10^8}{F\times10^{-9}}
= \frac{6\times10^{17}}{F}[/tex]

There's a certain redundancy here. Multiplying both sides by [itex]F[/itex] gives you

[tex]\left(\frac{Fs}{V}\right)^2 = 6\times 10^{17}[/tex]

Is this not what you want?

Last edited:
Hmmm not quite :\ [tex]\left(\frac{Fs}{V}\right)^2 = 6\times 10^{17}[/tex] is the same as [tex]\frac{F^2s^2}{V^2}[/tex]...which was what I got before...I want to get [tex]\frac{Fs^2}{V^2}[/tex]...but I don't know if that's actually possible. Anyway, thanks a bunch for the help! :)

Going to the root of the problem, I am actually working on my lab report. I need to determine the value of the permittivity of free space from my experiment...and from my results I plotted F with [tex]V^2[/tex] and I got a linear relationship between them with a slope of 10^-9...which is the number I had up there [tex]\frac{F}{V^2} = 10^{-9}[/tex]. Then I plotted F with [tex]\frac{1}{s^2}[/tex] and I got another relationship...with a slope of [tex]Fs^2 = 6*10^{-8}[/tex].

My experiment is to deduce the permittivity of free space so I can eventually deduce the speed of light.

F is the attractive force between two parallel plates (capacitor). A is the area of the plate. s is the distance between the plates. V is the voltage between them. My formula I'm dealing with is [tex] F=\frac{e_{0}AV^2}{2s^2}[/tex]

The lab requires me to find the "best" value of [tex]\frac{Fs^2}{V^2}[/tex] ...which is where I was stuck at from the beginning. :\

From then on, once I get [tex]\frac{Fs^2}{V^2}[/tex], find the permittivity of free space and eventually the speed of light.
Thanks again for the time and effort! :)

Last edited:
You simply don't have enough information. If you could find [tex]\frac{Fs^2}{V^2}[/tex], since you already know [itex]Fs^2[/itex], you could divide the second by the first to find V then use [itex]\frac{F}{V^2}[/itex] to find F and finally solve for s. You can't expect to be able to solve 2 equations for 3 values.

Hmmm...ok...I'll have to check my values again. Thanks!

1. What is the purpose of solving equations with Fs^2, F/V^2, and real numbers in algebra?

Solving equations with Fs^2, F/V^2, and real numbers in algebra helps us find the unknown values in a given equation. It allows us to manipulate and rearrange the equation to isolate the variable and determine its value. This is a fundamental skill in algebra that is used in many real-life applications.

2. How do I solve an equation with Fs^2, F/V^2, and real numbers?

To solve an equation with Fs^2, F/V^2, and real numbers, you need to follow the order of operations, which is PEMDAS (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, Addition and Subtraction). Begin by simplifying any parentheses, then solving any exponents. Next, use inverse operations to isolate the variable, and finally, simplify both sides of the equation until you have a solution for the variable.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve equations with Fs^2, F/V^2, and real numbers?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve equations with Fs^2, F/V^2, and real numbers. However, it is essential to understand the steps and concepts involved in solving the equation manually before relying on a calculator. Additionally, make sure that your calculator is set to the correct mode (e.g., degrees or radians) for the given problem.

4. What is the importance of checking my solution when solving equations with Fs^2, F/V^2, and real numbers?

Checking your solution is crucial when solving equations with Fs^2, F/V^2, and real numbers because it allows you to verify if the solution is correct. It is possible to make mistakes while solving equations manually or using a calculator, so checking your solution helps catch any errors. Additionally, it allows you to gain a better understanding of the problem and the solution process.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving equations with Fs^2, F/V^2, and real numbers?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving equations with Fs^2, F/V^2, and real numbers include not following the correct order of operations, making errors while simplifying, and forgetting to check your solution. It is essential to pay attention to every step and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes. Also, make sure to use parentheses correctly to avoid any confusion or errors in solving the equation.