Solving Exercise 5 Algebra II Honors

In summary: Here's an example:In summary, the problem is that the author is not sure how to start finding the equation of a line through the given points. They are given the function f(x)=\sqrt{x-1}\,. However, they are not finished yet because they need to check that the equation of the line fits their initial data.
darshanpatel
I don't get the wording of the problem. What does it mean find the equation?

Problem: Find the equation of the secant line through the points (x, f(x)) and (x2, f(x2)) for parts (a)-(e) in Exercise 5.

There is no work because I don't know where to begin.

Just as an example, (a) in Exercise 5 is x=2 and x2=3...
What do I do?

They also give me m(sec)= f(x2)-f(x)/x2-x

Physics news on Phys.org
darshanpatel said:
I don't get the wording of the problem. What does it mean find the equation?

Problem: Find the equation of the secant line through the points (x, f(x)) and (x2, f(x2)) for parts (a)-(e) in Exercise 5.

There is no work because I don't know where to begin.

Just as an example, (a) in Exercise 5 is x=2 and x2=3...
What do I do?

They also give me m(sec)= f(x2)-f(x)/x2-x

The equation of a line is often of the form
y = mx + b

for instance, y = 3x - 7​

I know it is y=mx+b but how would i find that? Can you please show using the example numbers?

darshanpatel said:
I know it is y=mx+b but how would i find that? Can you please show using the example numbers?

Were you given a specific function for this problem?

Yes for exercise 5 it said consider the function given by f(x)=sqrt(x-1)

What are f(2) and f(3) ?

what do you mean?

SammyS said:
What are f(2) and f(3) ?

darshanpatel said:
what do you mean?

You are given the function [itex]f(x)=\sqrt{x-1}\,.[/itex]

So I asked, "What are f(2) and f(3) ?" . That's a very basic question.

oh, f(2)=1 and f(3)=sqrt2

I tried putting it into point-slope form and got y-1=(sqrt2-1)(x-2), is that a right start?

Reduced that down to y=(sqrt2x -x)-2sqrt2 +3

Last edited:
SammyS u still want to help me?

darshanpatel said:
I tried putting it into point-slope form and got y-1=(sqrt2-1)(x-2), is that a right start?
Yes
Right, though it is usually better to write it with just one x,
viz., y = (sqrt2 - 1)x -2sqrt2 + 3

But you are not finished yet. The final step is to check that this equation fits your initial data, to avoid the embarrassment of scoring some red crosses when your work is marked.

When x=2, does this produce a y value of 1?
when x=3, does this give y = sqrt2?

If this all tallies, then it must be right. :smile:

darshanpatel said:

This -- sqrt2x -- is terrible notation because it is ambiguous. Does it mean [itex]\sqrt{2x}[/itex] or does it mean [itex]\sqrt{2}\cdot x[/itex]? Because this expression came from (=(√2-1)(x-2), you apparently intend for what you wrote to mean [itex]\sqrt{2}\cdot x[/itex]. A better way to write that is to put x in front of the radical, as x√2, which is clear and unambiguous.

Thank you, sorry, i see it written a lot like sqrt2 or what ever, but how do you do the symbols?

darshanpatel said:
Thank you, sorry, i see it written a lot like sqrt2 or what ever, but how do you do the symbols?
To use the typesetting fonts and symbols, you have to invest time in learning Latex-family formatting. This site makes it as effortless as possible: http://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php

You can construct your itex formatting on that site, then cut and paste it into your posts.

What is the purpose of Exercise 5 in Algebra II Honors?

The purpose of Exercise 5 in Algebra II Honors is to practice and apply the concepts learned in previous lessons. It allows students to develop problem-solving skills and reinforce their understanding of algebraic equations and functions.

What topics are covered in Exercise 5?

Exercise 5 in Algebra II Honors typically covers topics such as solving systems of equations, graphing linear and quadratic functions, and solving quadratic equations using different methods.

How can I approach Exercise 5 effectively?

To approach Exercise 5 effectively, it is important to review the material covered in previous lessons and understand the underlying concepts. It can also be helpful to break down each problem into smaller steps and check your work as you go.

What are some common mistakes students make in Exercise 5?

Some common mistakes students make in Exercise 5 include forgetting to distribute negative signs, making calculation errors, and not checking their answers for extraneous solutions. It is important to pay attention to detail and carefully follow the steps to avoid these errors.

How can I improve my performance on Exercise 5?

To improve your performance on Exercise 5, it is important to practice regularly and seek help from your teacher or classmates if you are struggling with a particular concept. It can also be helpful to review your mistakes and understand where you went wrong to avoid making the same errors in the future.